Two piece ceramic self water pots and gessies

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I have accidentally discovered a way to give my streptocarpus steady, but not over, water.

My problem was either over watering to the point of creating root rot or waiting too long to water. Once they wilted and were watered, growth and bloom was interrupted for me; could never seem to hit the happy mid point.

One day I sat a 4" pot of streps into an empty 2 pc pot that had water in the outer pot, to get it out of the way. A few days later I noticed it seemed to stay turgid and green; I lifted the 4" pot and realized there was a small amount of water under the plant that was being wicked by the string in the plant.

What would happen if I put a small amount of perlite in the inner pot and sat the planted pot on top of it?

It works--the perlite stays moist; the plant wicks moisture as if it is on a mat. Now all I have to remember to do is keep water in the outer reservoir.

These photos show my results. First 2 photo are simply my Atusu Nama unassembled and assembled, I have trimmed away about 8 spent stalks of blooms. The 3rd is a photo of Red Hot Mama plant directly into the inner pot, I am not nearly as pleased with its progress as with the other.

Thumbnail by gessieviolet Thumbnail by gessieviolet Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Alum Bridge, WV

A couple of years ago I got two of these pots from Sally (The Salvation Army Store) and used them for Sinningias. For me they worked no better than the plastic two-piece pots I normally use. And as for Streps, mine get too big for a four-incher....

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Some of mine are wicked.The problem is when they get big a section of 5 or 6 leaves breaks off the plant.Do I stake or tie them to correct this?

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Lynn, I have not been able to grow any to this point yet.

This message was edited May 8, 2012 2:39 PM

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

That is great. I just love to hear someone has learned how to have success with growing a problem-type plant. I too have problems with streps. I love the blooms, but I just cant get that water..too much/not enough right either. The last couple I bought, I sunk the 2" pot into the top of 3" plastic oyama pot surrounded with perlite. It worked really well, the roots grew out the bottom holes of the 2" pot and into the perlite, the the plants were very happy. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I need to step up a size...guess I'll be making my own version of oyama pot with cottage cheese containers, ha. tish

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.