Flea Market Iris

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

I bought this Iris at the flea market on Sat. morn. Anyone know what it is? I grow bearded Iris and really know little about the others. Is it a Japanese Iris? That's what the man said anyway. It was in a coffee container in stinky clay mud. Yuck!!! He said it would grow in water or in soil. I bought it cause I loved the color and am really not concerned with it's name. Just want to know how to grow it.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
South Hamilton, MA

It looks more like a LA iris to me. JI are usually not that color & the form is wrong.

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks IrisMA, I'll look up the culture for LA iris. : )

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh Man! How lucky are you?! Wished I could find some La.s at FM for my new bog garden.
Love that color!

Twinsburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Love the color too, I was in Ontario Canada last August and came accross some wild swamp Iris and they had a similar tall and rather thin leaf structure, similar to what your Iris is showing. So it would seem logical to be an LA Iris; which are known for enjoying wetlands. Nice find. I will see if I can find my picture of the Iris and post it.

Twinsburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of the swamp Iris I took in Ontario Canada. If anyone knows how I can ID her I would appreciate it. I have tried, but not had any luck through Canadian sources.

Thumbnail by IrisUniverse
South Hamilton, MA

Ypur blue iris is a species as well--I. versicolor. There are some named varieties, but not many. Native to north america.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Wow that is a beauty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.