Suggestions for clem in containers

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

I've got a container that sits by my garage door facing the street and gets a fair amount of sun. I also have a 60" trellis that will fit in it. Oh, and the brick is whitewashed, so I think darker or vibrant colors would work well. Now I just need the right clem for it!

Anyone have a list of clems suitable for containers? I'm in zone 6, so they should be hardy to zone 5 or lower.

Also, should I worry about the container getting too hot?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

What color is the container? Do you know the dimensions of it?

I'll check on clem's that go to 5' though when they fall forward again it can be a lovely sight. Back after dinner.

Here's a link to Brushwood's clematises. http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/large-flowered-clematis-3/index-1-3a.html

I started looking for some that might meet your height requirements but there are 212 of them to go through!

Yikes, 212! Hence, my request for suggestions!

My container is 21" diameter and a lovely cobalt blue. I have been considering a Princess Diana or Rooguchi. Plants that do better with deadheading are OK in this instance because I can get up close and personal with this planter. As opposed to some of the other places I'll have clems (dern wheelchair.) Although I wouldn't mind if it didn't need constant attention, other than watering.

I seldom deadhead my clem's. Generally I'll only do it if I'm taking a photo and the old bloom would be a distraction.

Both clem's you named are lovely but won't really be noticed from the street, if that's what you wanted. If you just wanted a pretty clem you have 212 to select from and that's not including Silver Star Vinery!

Maybe if you checked Plant Files you'd see some you love and could then refer to Brushwood or Silver Star.

It's been a long day and a long weekend in the garden so I'm off to bed. I hope you find something you love.

What do you think of Bourbon? The color on that looks eye-popping!

Yes! I bought it last year and just this morning, on a quick walk due to the breeze, cool temp's and impending rain, I spotted this "vine" that I was sure I never planted. The buds are so beautiful. When it opens I can post a photo.

I read somewhere on the web that Raymond Evison, the hybridizer, said it gets a "ponytail" haircut after bloom. Just hold all the stems together, as you would for a ponytail, and cut it back.

Thumbnail by pirl

Would anyone like a shot of Bourbon? Lol

I found this at my local nursery, with three stems and a bud. I cut back one...the second is already cut back, but a little higher up. Is that called layering?

I'd love any suggestions for what I could put at the base of the plant!

Katherine

Thumbnail by koshki Thumbnail by koshki

Mine opened yesterday and it's beautiful, too.

Layering is laying a stem on the ground and removing the leaves at a node (where the leaves exit the stem), then make a depression in the earth, lay down the clematis stem, cover with compost or earth, weight it with a brick. In a year you'll have a new clone of the parent. Be careful not to break the stem!

11/18/2011 layered
04/12/2012 look at how they grew!

What exposure does the barrel have?

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

Thanks for the layering info...I got the term confused with something else. What do you call it when you cut back stems to staggered lengths? (Something to do with getting blooms at varying areas of the plant?)

It faces southeast-ish with a fair amount of direct sun, but due to the trees it doesn't get blasted all day. Wish I could figure how to rotate the photo. First time shooting and uploading everything from my phone, so I'm still learning.

Sorry, Katherine, I don't know the term for what you have described. When I cut a stem it still continues to grow until buds are initiated.

With that exposure you could use many plants. I'd avoid perennials since they will create serious root competition. If you want ideas try going to Mischel's Greenhouses for some online shopping. I received my order last week and they are always superior plants ($4.00 per pot).

http://www.mischelsgreenhouses.com/

It's so nice to open boxes (so well packaged that no plants get dislodged) and see flowers in bloom already.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, now that is a nice box of plants.

That was just one of the two boxes, Marie!

Mischel's sells excellent plants and I'd rather buy from them and know for sure that I'll get what I want for containers than risk not being able to find the plants locally (or have to shop endlessly to find them).

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

So true. I might check them out. I would go on the better homes and garden site, and print out garden plans. But never be able to find the plants they said to plant.

I have noticed that most of the nursery's dont have a real big selection this year.

Mischel's is sold out for the year but the site is nice for good ideas.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Koshki, I think you could be happy with c. Arabella. Very long blooming period. I had one next to a Vietnamese Cobalt blue vase and it was dear. The 2 inch flowers tend to start some sort of lavender, purple and mature to a pretty good blue with a gray tint to my eyes.
If you look up clematis Arabella on Google and go to images you will see a lot of pictures of plant and flower. Please know blue or blue tinted clematis colors are not very accurate with cameras.
Brushwood Nursery Clematis Arabella - Clematis Arabella Herbaceous Type Full Sun, Partial Shade Zones 4-9 Grows 4 to 6 feet Fretwell, England, 1990.
Lee Sherwood McDonald

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.