May Flowers on the "Homestead"

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Come and share what you are doing on your "homestead" (even if it's just a small lot!)...

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250810/

This message was edited May 7, 2012 4:13 PM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you - darius !

Hey, you could have started the new thread...

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I Know - sorry - got an electronics call - then built a ramp to get the mower into and out of the truck (getting too old to lift that thing) - again thanks !

I hear ya on the age thing!

For the first time, I'm actually thinking about a couple of raised beds until my tiny trees get large enough for 'real' fruit/vegetable/herb guilds. The bending over is killing me. Actually what I'd really like to do is dig a couple of circular pits about 10' in diameter, leave an island in the center for the fruit or nut tree, fill the pit with deteriorating logs, twigs and compost. Then build raised beds on top of them.

Update on my spontaneous (that means without planning or knowing how to do it properly, LOL!) cuttings of fruit/nut trees a couple of months ago. Total failure except the elderberries. I think I have around 25 rooted elderberry cuttings now. I'll do much better next time, since I've learned a little after the fact. The apple grafts I did in a recent class in Dugspur look like they are about to break bud. Crossing my fingers that they all take, but especially the Hewe's Crab that Thos. Jefferson grew for hard cider.

I'm hoping to get the man with the Bobcat here in the next several weeks to skin the "grass" off a new garden spot, and move the mulch I (accidentally) put down over the drain field to the new spot. My sis is going to pay him to do a little terracing in the back yard.

Depending on the weather, I may get the 10' tall Tee posts hammered in this week. (It depends on a lawncare man who will do the work outside his regular mowing jobs. Has to be done from a ladder.) They are supports for a tall trellis to shade the south side of the trailer. I'm putting Kentucky Wonder pole beans, 2 arctic kiwi vines, and a couple of flowering vines on it. The kiwi are cold-hardy perennials, smaller than the kiwi in the stores and not fuzzy. However, they are slow-growing and I need some fast-growing annual vines for a couple of years. I may transplant a couple of hop plants there, too... depends on how much room I have.

My porch railing and walkway fence railing are covered in seedlings. Can't get much in the ground until I get some earth moved.

Dyson, there were some strawberries in the porch border bed when I moved here, but they were hidden by taller stuff. I moved them last year, many survived. The earliest berries were killed by frost but a single berry found it's way under a bushy herb plant, and I snatched it up to my mouth immediately. I have no clue what variety they are, but that was the sweetest, most succulent strawberry I've eaten in 30 years. I forgot just how good they can be; it's been a long time since I helped my grandfather with 2 acres of strawberries!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

There is a bed at the new house full of wild strawberries. I am hoping that I can dig them out and replace with domesticated ones.

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson, if they are wild strawberries and not cinquefoil, I'd love to have some! (Can't tell by the photo if the berry has 5 cusps on the cap.)

Whoops, I just looked at the cinquefoil that runs amok here... the leaves are different, as well as the berries.

This message was edited May 7, 2012 7:24 PM

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Dyson, keep on keeping the faith that in time your Son will make a full recovery. Riding the Shadow sounds like good therapy for you to be able to free your mind. BIG Congrats to you and Sue on your new home. It's adorable and can't tell you how proud I am for both of you! When is your move-in date?

I'm in new territory posting here and have to thank you, Darius, for sharing the links.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

We are hoping that the house will close this week - then we will start the moving process, and I will start the repair / upgrade process ( first order of business is yard revamp as I need to get some vegges going asap ). I have lots of tomato plants started and seed for many other edibles.

hi all
just a quick hello
things are pretty crazy around here.
wanted to let you all know i am thinking of you all and sending good vibes to you all

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Dyson, Love your house. It has so much potential for a guy of your calibur. Looking forward to your adventures there.

That last "briar" pic is a wineberry. We have lots of them here and they are delish!!

Vacation is in the books and it was a mixed bag. We left Wednesday after DH's infusion. Had to make a few stops for fuel, feed and the like. We got to the ride about 4:30 in the afternoon. Spent til dark getting camp set up. The next morning we slept in and then I took a ride on Coffee. I had to constantly push her to get her away from camp and Godiva. She wouldn't stand still for me to take pics. When I got back to camp I expected DH to be visiting with our friend at his tack trailer but he was home trying to calm Godiva. She nearly pulled down the tie line after I left on Coffee. They were like that the whole time. Grrr

The second night we were nearly killed by a horrendous storm. Rain, lightning and winds like a hurricane. And I know hurricanes. DH was holding the tent wall up and I was praying and trying to watch the horses on the tie line. We put the computer, phone, camera and DH's glucose meter and testing supplies and our meds in a plastic tote to keep them from getting wet. EVERYTHING else got soaked. When the storm let up a bit we ran for the horse trailer. We spent a miserable night among the boxes.

Sun came out the next day so we cleaned out the back of the van, put an air mattress in it and took a nap for a couple hours. Then we cleaned out the tent and put stuff in the sun to dry. I dipped 7 buckets of water out of the tent floor. When everything had dried, we got it all set back up and looked forward to a restful night. I fed the horses and went to the community tank to get a bucket of water for the dogs. I struck up a conversation with a guy watering his horse and found out the weather was supposed to be as bad or worse for the night as it had been the night before. Soooo, we emptied the tent and set up in the carrying compartment of the trailer. We covered the windows with bags and tarps, covered the floor with a tarp and put the big air mattress in. During the night it started to rain and yep, you guessed it, we had leaks!! The bed got wet and my pillow got soaked. The bed started to leak air and we were nearly on the floor by morning. DH tried to get up in the night to use the bathroom and he got a cramp in his leg. His foot got wrapped up in the sleeping bad and he couldn't move. He was screeching and wailing and I was trying hard not to laugh. :) I was just real glad he didn't wet his pants. I had way too much dirty laundry without that. So, now we had had 2 miserable nights.

But the sun came out again the next day and we were able to take a nice ride and visit with friends. We made new friends with the folks who camped behind us and they fed us the whole time. We were having fun in spite of the problems. We took a nice ride again on Saturday evening and we got our pic taken by the official photographer. The trail we took was not wet and muddy like the first day. We climbed 2 hills and topped out on a ridge where we could see for miles. It was awesome.

We spent Sunday morning packing up. It was hard getting everything back together with it all being so muddy but we managed. The tent was a loss. During the storm one of the poles had bent and crimped and the canvas had torn in a couple places so we drove off and left it standing. The new 12 x 14 tarp under it will be good payment for whoever takes it down. LOL We also burned the big air mattress.

I got a black eye for a souvenier. One of the horses snatched the tie line at just the wrong time and the big swivel flipped up and hit me under the eye. It made a huge knot and it hurt a bit but I tacked up and had a good ride. It's good for conversation. LOL

Another funny thing happened. We were out on a ride and started down a trail. There was a horse standing by itself. I told DH, "Look, there's an empty horse." Then he saw a woman's head sticking out of the bushes so we figured she was using the bathroom. We went back up the trail about 20 feet to give her some privacy. A few minutes later we heard her talking to somebody who had come up the trail behind her. So we went on passed them and I heard her telling the other person she had gotten bucked off!! She had landed in the bushes where DH saw her. And we thought she was peeeing so we left her there! I felt bad about leaving her but she didn't say anything about needing help. Guess she was too dazed. It's funny now but I don't imagine she saw the humor in it. LOL

So that's how our trip went. We had good times and bad times and can't wait to go again. It won't be so hard next trip because there will be lots less cleaning and packing to do. And we learned things the hard way on this trip that we will profit from for the next trip. Like, where all the leaks are. LOL

This message was edited May 8, 2012 2:47 PM

Richmond, TX

Well it was definitely a change of pace! Sometimes anything different is fun - glad you survived.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

My son is doing much better they are moving him from the hospital to a "Rehab Center" ( whatever that is .. I have never been in one ). Judith had to shave his hair and beard off and he will not be happy about that.

Still have not closed on the house (another prayer). I have a bunch of tomato plants ready to go into the ground and still no ground to put them in.

Talked to my bike mechanic and he can not do the tune up that I have already bought the parts for until bike week in Myrtle Beach is over (two weeks). The bike is running well but I need to keep it that way. It is starting to get some age on it.

What's the hold-up on the closing, Dyson?

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

The cash is "in the bank" (not a check in the mail), The real estate agent wants it to go - seems to be the lawyer dragging his Glutamas Maximus (sp? maybe someone better versed in Latin could help out) !

I am so ready to get out of this apartment.

Need dry weather in the morning - need to ride to Roanoke and pick up a piece of chrome for the bike I ordered and has come in.

Not time sensitive for me - but I do not want to get the only parts source for 50 miles mad at me so if I have to take the truck I will.

Maybe waiting for the title work? I do hope you are spending an extra few bucks for Owner's Title Insurance... if you have a mortgage loan, mortgage title insurance to cover them is required, but just to cover the loan, not to cover your investment. Owner's just pay an additional fee for the difference in coverage between the two, a one-time charge.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

There is no mortgage we are paying cash for the house even, Sue burnt her 401 to do it figuring that which of us goes first the other will have a place to live. and with the real estate market & the way the stock market is going (401 is dependent ) I have to agree.

She figures that this way the house is "paid for" we only have to worry about taxes & expenses (she knows - push come to shove - I can handle expenses - w / one or two computer jobs a week).

I look forward to making the place as energy and supply efficient as possible!

Including the garden (of course).

Sounds like a smart move with the 401k...

Cajun wow what an adventure you had . I m glad your all ok and dry today. Hope the eye feels better soon
Dyson glad to hear your son is in rehab and doing well.
things are busy here so i will pop in once in awhile.
hugs to you all
sue

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

That is nice house Dyson. Looks much bigger from the back view too.
Rehab= a place where they rehabilitate the disabled parts of the body. Exercises the parts that are not working correctly until the brain gets use to doing it by itself again. Motor Skills. etc.....different skills for different injuries.

Cajun, Wow. Glad you made it through the storms. Ouch, Sorry you have a black eye. Seems like bad luck likes to keep you company often. Hope your next trip turns out much better. (check the weather forecast)

My life is the same. The life of my rabbits are not the same. I had put three rabbits in a cage together thinking they were all females. I finally separated them into their own cages a couple weeks ago. A few days ago I noticed two of them were very fat. I felt of their bellies and was sure they were pregnant and about to have babies any moment. One of those three was a fella and I didn't know it. I put a nesting box in their cages ASAP. They were pulling fur the next day. The next day they were having babies. My goodness. Just in the nick of time.

Hubby decided to clean up an area in the yard that hasn't been tended to in 2 years===since the house fire=== and by accident he uncovered a nest of wild baby rabbits. He thought he cut them with the weed eater so he checked them out. The nest is exposed now but we put a structure over the nest to keep them from getting wet in all this rain and since hubby touched them and they are uncovered, we are afraid the mama will abandon them...........dunno what to do. This happen yesterday afternoon. The babies eyes are open so they must be close to at least 3 weeks. Should I take them in?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

hubby checked on the wild rabbits. One is missing. It's rainy and chilly out. He gathered the 4 up and put 2 in with each new mama rabbit. He has been monitoring them off and on. So far, it looks like they are adopted.

Caj, sounds like you had a good time in spite of the weather. I used to sleep in my horse trailer when we went to shows, found out just as you did how they can leak.

Cricket, hope the baby bunnies "take" and don't have disease to transfer.

Where's MsRobin? Thought she was going to post more regularly.

Dysin, do you want some zebra grass? I just divided mine and have several starts.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

darius I am letting Sue take care of all the ornamental stuff - will ask her. I will be concentrating on growing food.

Sue & the granddaughters went through the strawberry patch again today and it looks like strawberry pie for dessert tonight.

I went over to the house and cut the lawn this morning. Much more to do there - but since it has not closed yet, I dare not do more.

No more news on my son's condition - I do not want to bother his wife or mother with request for updates because I know that they already have their hands full. If I do not hear from them by tomorrow, I feel another long bike ride coming on.

I wish my son would recover. The house would close. And I could find a job. But I guess each of these problem situations will turn out the way they do. I just do not have a lot of input in the outcome which does result in some feeling of helplessness.

Take care all.

Dyson, I should proofread... I didn't realize I typed a misspelling in your name!

Bentonville, AR

Dyson, Congrats on the house! I bet ya cant wait for closing. Also,your son is in my prayers.

I read today that here in the ozarks, fruit harvests are 2 weeks earlier than normaal aand bumper crops are expected. Yay! Even though my garden is a bust this year, I am planning to visit some you pick farms and orchards. Plus I have a ton of blackberry aand raspberry growing on my place.

The weeds are taking over everything, proving just how beneficial a goat will be. But first things first. I finished ripping up my floors today. Hopefully will be replacing them this week, putting in cabinets next week and then laying tille in my kitchen. Then I can move in! So exciting to see the light!

Dyson sending some healing energy to you and hoping things will work there way to better things. sure is hard to feel helpless . why do challenges always come in 3's ? . wishing the best for you and your family.
Cricket looks like you have a bunny mania on your hands. could be a " HARE raising experience " *giggle*

Sue, I see you are in good spirits! Good for you.

I do watch the progress of the memorial garden, just don't post.

I returned the 10' steel T posts today since my helper couldn't reach to the top of them to drive them in the ground from my ladder. Now I need to find a sawmill for posts that are NOT pressure-treated and get my butt in gear on the shade trellis, part of which will be pole beans this year. I'm putting some perennial fruiting vines on the trellis, hardy Kiwi, but they are slow growers. Some annual flowering vines this year, too, for fast shade.

The excavator SAYS he'll be here tomorrow to look at what I want done for my new garden area. Not holding my breath! If it doesn't happen soon, I won't get the infrastructure done this year in time to put some foundation plants in place.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Got 2 tire planters filled for my melons. Not nearly enough for my seedlings so I will have to choose the ones I want most. I need to make another tire and fashion a trellis for my Kiwano Horned melon.

Dyson, I am praying for your son.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Kenn is no longer paralyzed. The house will close on the 16th.

Richmond, TX

Great news!

Dyson, good things come in three's, just like bad things. Here's hoping your #3 is terrific, since both Kenn's news and the Closing news are good!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

The rehab center they moved Kenn to has no wireless broadband. Hence, the reduction in updates on his condition. He is making steady improvement which I am thankful for. Thank you all for the prayers and healing wishes.

When we move into the new house, Cindy (Sue's sister) is going to move in with us. This will be less expense for her than her current apartment. and will help us with added income. Looks like a win-win. Maybe with her help we can get by on my occasional computer job or at least with me only working a part time job. I have discussed it with Sue, and we figure that even if I can find only a minimum wage job locally with the price of fuel it would be better than a long commute for an electronics job like I had.

The strawberry pie was most excellent!

Sounds like a good deal, Dyson... assuming you have enough square footage for everyone to have some privacy and a personal space.... a "room of one's own".

Dyson so glad things are turning around.
darius some days are better then others , hope you can get the project done .

Here's a photo of the elderberry cuttings I did this year, on impulse and without knowing exactly what I was doing... I have given away 4 already, 6 more put out top growth but no roots, and I transplanted these 23 into tall treepots to develop stronger roots. Some will go in my yard, the rest will be traded or sold.

I wasn't successful with any of the other impromptu cuttings (beach plum, red and black currants, Nanking cherry) but it was probably too late in the year because they were already budding.

Thumbnail by darius
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Dyson, it does sound like a win win.

Darius, those look really healthy.

I got 2 more tires done and planted 4 melons out yesterday while it was raining. Charleston Gray, Moon and Stars, Early Silverline and Mini Golden Sweet. The Early Silverline already has blooms on it. I need to get a few more tires done for a few more varieties. We just love melons.

I was up half the night with an earache and my hip hurting. Ear is better but my hip is worse.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Lots of moisture yesterday:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/uv/?site_no=02056900&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,62620,00062

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Several roads flooded out in the county:

http://www.511virginia.org/Conditions.aspx?r=1

We got our share, Dyson... perhaps not as much as you received though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.