Unrewarding Gessies

Montgomery, AL

I have been growing these Smithiana lauii plants for almost 2 years; snipping, rooting, and sharing the tip cuttings and hoping for fuller specimens. They have outgrown their terrarium and I'm tired of doing this for nothing, i.e. no flowers!
What would you do?
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamiew
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

The one thing that I'm kind of not sure about is whether this is a Smithiantha or not... The shape of the leaves just doesn't seem to be right...

http://www.gesneriads.ca/smithi13.htm

I don't know what I would do. Probably toss it when it starts getting on my nerves and if it hasn't bloomed in two years and is kind of plain looking... LOL

Montgomery, AL

This is definitely S. lauii. It's bright green grown in a sunny window under a terrarium. I had tried growing a batch in open air-they died. I may try 'selling' it at our sales table this weekend and see if another 'sucker' wants to give it a go. All that work growing out from seed for naught! It won't flower and I hate it. It's probably just a weed in Brazil anyway, so 'there' plant!
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamiew
Montgomery, AL

I'm a softy, so I relocated its worthless but to a terrarium OUTSIDE (mostly a funeral parlor). This is its last chance.

Thumbnail by jamiew
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I just gave away all my Smithiantha rhizomes because that's what they did for me as well: Lots of foliage and (almost) no flowers... Maybe for someone else but not for me... LOL

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I have the same problem with Seemania Medusa x self.

Thumbnail by lbrabec
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Seemannias are hit or miss for me as well...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.