Pecan Tree Maybe

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

My son-in-law gave me this tree he said he thought it was a pecan tree. Can someone id this for me

Thanks Sami

Thumbnail by Sami Thumbnail by Sami
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Not for sure what it IS, but I know what it ISN'T.

That's not a Pecan. Pecan has pinnately compound foliage. Your plant has simple foliage.

I did look up Pecan trees and notice that the foilage was different. So will wait see if someone knows what this is. Where is Scott County Ky. My brothers live in Paducah. We try to go every year to visit but have not been in almost 2 years now. I am taking care of an elderly lady and dont get to go much of anywhere now. She is 91 years old.

Sami

Scott County is just north of Lexington on I-75. Paducah is clear out in western KY, about 4-5 hours drive.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Just a thought - Willow Oak (Quercus phellos) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53594/

The folilage really looks like what I have. The tree man at the nursery thought it was a wax myrtle. He said if I scratch it and it smells like a bayberry then it probable was. I did that and it does not smell like baberry to me

Sami

Verburnum miy sister lived near Lexington Ky a few years back. She lived in a close to the town that just got hit with that tornado. I cant remember the name of the town at the moment. Oh yes now I remember It was West Liberty. A really neat little town. She lived in the county up in the mountains. If it snowed we were stuck because the road was really narrow and not drivable. Straight down on its side of the roads. I really hated driving on it.

Sami

Yes - where I live is pretty flat compared to West Liberty, which is in a valley in the foothills of the Appalachians. That tornado back in March was a real knockout punch. There is an awful lot of rebuilding yet to do there.

I could buy into the Myrtle idea there, especially with the stemminess. Maybe you could snip one of those stems off, and photo close on some of the leaf scars from past years, and the bark, etc.

Good idea it is raining here today and soon as I get a chance to get out there will do that

thanks Sami

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.