Looking for Running Elephant ears for postage

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Looking for running elephant ears for postage

Blackshear, GA

When you say running...what do you mean....the ones that spread and put out runners?

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I'd love to know that too!

Edited for idiocy.

This message was edited May 8, 2012 9:46 AM

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I was curious enough to do a bit of digging to find out which "Elephant's Ears" run rather than form clumps. Apparently the runners are primarily but not exclusively in genus Colocasia, including but not limited to some C. escuelenta hybrids, C. antiquroum Illustris, C. nancyana and a handful of others. That was the extent of my investigation, but I am sure there is lot's more information out there.
I don't have any of those to trade right now, but thanks for learning journey.
Alana

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I have the Colocasia antiquorum 'Black Runner' - interesting thing about them .. I've never had them "run" whilst in a pot - only when planted in the ground do they "run" for me.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I wonder if that is something like I had once in my pond? They were not big but they spread by runners and I loved them! Sure do miss them when when I did not get the plant out soon enough before the first freeze! I had the main plant in a small pot and the runners came out the sides.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I had some once and they were a pain. They would grow everywhere. I wouldn't have them if I were you. I had got them down at the local river.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They can be that! When I planted some in the ground in a front bed I thought I was planting Black Magic .. turned out to be the Black Runner and they were shootin out babies from everywhere! Had to go out every couple of days and cut them out. Mine are staying in containers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.