move my hardy geraniums?

Narberth, PA(Zone 6b)

This winter was so mild, here in the suburban Philadelphia area. My hardy geraniums are blooming early and the plants are huge.
If I remember correctly, the plants go dormant in summer and bloom again in September?
My questions is, can I move them after this Spring bloom is over or should I wait until Fall after the second bloom.
Thanks!

Thumbnail by Sadassa_Ulna
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

They can be moved and it will give them time to settle in before the next round. Anymore there are so many hardy geraniums, some all seasom bloomers tooo, such as below:
pix: Dianthus x Loveliness and geranium Rozanne.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That is a beautiful photo.The dianthus is very unusual.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, I got the seed years ago from: tmseeds.com. It's a perennial: Dianthus X Loveliness, which blooms first year from seed. It last about 3 to 4 years and then is gone, and have never had it reseed. It's 12-18" and blooms the whole season til frost. The smell is incrediible too, another plus in my book. I believe burpee has the seed also, and the range of colors is wonderful!!!! I have not found them to reseed outdoors tho.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree with Warrier. I moved some hardy geraniums about a week ago. The site was prepared in advance. They wilted a bit for a day or two but then stood back up and look wonderful.

And I agree with ge - that dianthus is just gorgeous.

Donna

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have moved HardyG's. I believe any plant that spreads like that can take it.

Narberth, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you to everyone who has replied.

And warriorwisdomkathy - I agree that feathery dianthus of yours is lovely!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

One of mine was a bit more eager to cover ground than what I wanted so I figured I'd take up a few pieces. It ended up 20 pieces. I've potted them up and hope they adjust.

Kathy - we grew one with that look, named Donna. It was pink. It lasted a few years and then disappeared as many do. They're lovely.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I feel like the hardy geraniums can survive anything....even attempts to get rid of it! So go ahead and move or divide....just take a big chunk and water well. I always use root stimulator (especially if it's something you really love or a huge shrub or rose) when moving or dividing anything....it helps a great deal. It comes as a liquid and you dilute it in a little water. I highly recommend having it in your "garden pantry".

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, Kosk, good advice. I actually have one, and keep forgetting to use it!

Donna

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

In doing garden cleanup this morning, atleast 3 of those dianthus didn't make it. This would have been year 4, sure wish they did reseed tho.
I haven't used root stimulator in years, thanks for the reminder, maybe it's time to start again, I have scads that need dividing this year.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Kiosk, which one do you use? Is there a difference between the various ones that you know or have heard of??

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats a sweet combo of yellow iris and panzies

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I don't recall the brand I use off hand....I checked my "garden pantry" and I'm out! Need to replace asap. I'm planning to get the same brand, and I'll let you know. I dug up an extremely old climbing rose from my friend's house, and had to sacrifice half of the roots bc they were under her garage. I didn't think it would survive the transplant to my house, But it's doing great. I used a lot of root stimulator so I'm sold on it.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Please post when you do...

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Do you have a name brand on this root stimulator? Do you use it on everything you try to root or transplant?

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Ferti lome is the brand I use. Restocked it today. Bonime makes similar product. Looks very similar.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.