Using paper weed barrier - question

Harwinton, CT

Hello again to all you noreasteners!

I've decided to try paper weed barrier in my garden this year. Now, do I put this product in the aisles/paths and place my plants in between or do I place the barrier edge to edge and poke holes for the plants??? I'm using the large metal staples to hold it down.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is that the heavy duty stuff? I think you can do both with it, use it in the paths and over the beds and cut holes in it for the plants.

Thomaston, CT

My lawn service put in landscaping cloth when they prepared a new garden for me.....I cut holes in it with a box cutter, but I don't like the cloth, & have been ripping it out for the last few years....mulch does just a good a job at weed control, & the cloth is a pain!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Another problem with the biodegradable cloth is that it burns. We had a really sneaky fire underneath the mulch--it was the cloth! Very hard to put out an underground fire.

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

There's now a paper product - basically really thick brown paper - that is easy to work with and works quite well. I've used it, along with a lot of mulch, to transform grass areas into beds w/o digging up the grass. I highly recommend it.

I'd poke holes in it. I put it up to the plants but found that a bit difficult to get right. And if I didn't do it well enough, the grass came through.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.