Puckered foliage on tree peony

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Hello, I'm new to this forum and to growing peonies... I planted some tree peonies last fall, and one of them has this weird looking puckered foliage on top. Just wondering if it might be a virus or a problem of some sort - or am I just worrying too much? Has anyone seen something like that before? Here's a picture:

Thumbnail by rebecca101
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I have seen that on my columbine and am sure it is a blight of some sort. Just not sure what. Won't kill the plant but certainly weakens it. Never had it on my tree peonies. Have you googled to see if it shows up there with any suggestions of what it is?

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

thanks Mary - I've been exploring the web a bit and can't find any reference to a disease on tree peonies which causes leaf curl/puckering, although lots of other plants seem to be affected by viruses which cause this symptom. So maybe it's something that tree peonies don't often get, but can. In other plants, the recommendation seems to be that this is a minor virus that the plant can fight off if healthy. So I guess I'll just try to take good care of this guy and keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for the help.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

You might send a note to Reath Nurseries. Scott is very good with peonies and has always been good about answering questions.

www.reathsnursery.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.