Help with Sassafras Trees

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I just got some seedlings that are growing in a large pot for now. I want to move then to a sunny spot out front. All I read says they prefer acidic soil - opposite of what I have. A quick Google lists many ways of trying to change the soil ph. Pine needles (which I have LOTS of,) coffee grounds, iron sulfate, spaghum moss, etc. What do you suggest I try? I'm ok zone wise and could make a point of keeping them wet when it is dry here but will the soil ph keep them from doing well?

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

What does your soil test tell you?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a PH of 7.2 in general - bit lower some places, higher others. Sandy soil, no clay.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Scroll down to Growth Requirements in the enclosed link:
http://www.gardenguides.com/taxonomy/sassafras-sassafras-albidum/
If you can locate a large area that has a pH no higher than 7.2, you might be able to meet it's soil pH requirements. Changing the pH of large areas permanently is not possible. You can change it temporarily,but it is an arduous process and you would always be playing catch-up as the root system grows.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Cool link, thanks. I have more than one 2 yr old seedling. Perhaps I will try them in different spots. Have my fingers crossed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.