Red Cleo...........

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I love it when they do this.....so cool.

Thumbnail by morganc
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Absolutely beautiful.. Cleopatra is one of my favorites. I loved them as much as much as my bengals. I just have more luck keeping bengals alive. It is difficult keeping any cannas growing well here in West Texas. This drought is bad on all of them. I have a small patch of bengals growing well right now... about 4 stalks growing and 2 that have jumped the flowerbed and are coming up in the grass. I need to dig them up but hate to disturb them... they of course look the best of all! LOL

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Naturally.......:-))

We changed to a drip system and mulch like crazy. That seemed to help, although some are still better than others.

Center, TX

Hey, do ya1ll fertilize cannas? If so, with what. I`ve just got interested in cannas and just love them. alda

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, we do feed them. Where we live is on the edge of Hill Country, which is just a lot of limestone....VERY Alkaline. So anything with gives them a bit of Acid is good. We make our own compost in one of those big tumblers and then add peat moss to it. The peat moss will add a bit of acidity PLUS it holds in moisture.....also much needed here. Every now and then we will buy a bag of organic food for Azaleas....which is acidic....and I throw it around all the Cannas. We mulch with pine bark which also adds acid.

So what you feed your Cannas will depend on your soil.

We love the Cannas because they bloom until a frost, and they can take our heat and sun. Not to mention, I love how tropical they look.

Thumbnail by morganc Thumbnail by morganc Thumbnail by morganc
Center, TX

:Hey, Does anyone know when to plant canna seeds and what do I need to do before planting?
I saved these seeds from my garden so I sure could use some info. Alda

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

prob. Feb. for you. Lookie here
http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/how-propagate-canna-seed

I don't have the patience to grow from seed, generally, but cannas and rain lilies are ones I don't mind b/c my success rate is high.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.