New heuchera purchases

Ottawa, Canada

Well I was out at a local feed and seed store looking for fertilizer (without my heuchera wish list in hand). The price at $9.99 each of these large specimens were not easy to pass up and I didn't. I bought
1) Crimson Curls
2) Rootbeer -this one was over $20 at another nursery
3) Ginger Peach
4) Burnished Bronze
5) Pear Crisp
6) Beaujolais
7) Berry Marmelade
8) Snow Angel

Yikes not one was on my list. I passed up Purple Petticoats and Green Spice as well as a few others I don't have. I will probably regret the decision. Now I have to find the perfect spot for each one. HELP!! I will post pictures when it stops raining.

This message was edited May 2, 2012 8:26 PM

This message was edited May 2, 2012 8:29 PM

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

You should go back for Green Spice- I really like that one in the Spring and it seems like a "thriver" so far. Looking forward to your pics- I love finding nice plants at unlikely places for good prices.

Lake Stevens, WA

Green spice is a good one. In fact you got a bunch of great ones. Yes, take pictures

Lake Stevens, WA

That was such a good buy. 9.99 for gallon!! Good for you. They are so healthy looking.

Ottawa, Canada

Springcolor I now have to find the perfect spot for each of them in my garden. Which ones would look nice with my 'Blackout'. Should I go for contrast, or a similar colour. "Blackout' is situated in front of yellow hostas Sun Power and August Moon. I was leaning towards similar colour. What do you think? Blackout looks lonely, don't you think?

This message was edited May 3, 2012 9:07 PM

Thumbnail by irawon
Lake Stevens, WA

Go dark. Makes heuchera and hosta stand out! That is a very beautiful garden. Your heuchera should love it there. Post pictures when you get them planted.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Your new purchases look great! I think I saw a few of those while I was out shopping yesterday and I was very tempted, too. But I resisted due to lack of room...gonna see how the ones I recently added do this year.

Ottawa, Canada

I was out in the garden today and noticed that quite a few of my heuchera had woody branching: Palace Purple, Christa, Lime Marmelade. They are all at least into their third year. Is this a sign that they should be divided because each branch naturally looks like a new plant.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Don't be too anxious to divide. In my enthusiasm I have divided too soon and lost at least one part of the division despite the fact that it looked really ready.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

In the past two weeks I've added:

Midnight Rose
Obsidian
Plum Pudding
Quilter's Joy
Tiramisu (2nd one I have)

Moved to keep the deer from eating them.....

Midas Touch
Plum Royale
Dolce Black Currant
Dolce Creme Brulee
Berry Smoothie

Doug

Ottawa, Canada

I went back for 'Green Spice' and darn the price had gone up. I also bought 'Berry Smoothie' and 'Pinot Gris'. 'Pinot Gris' is such a huge plant. I had trouble squeezing it in. Not sure I like where I've situated it.

I found 'Can-Can' at Walmart, Plum Pudding at Loblaws (Canadian grocery chain) and 'Kira Black Forest' at another nursery (Make It Green).

Postmandug that is a nice selection. I don't have 'Quilter's Joy' and 'Dolce Creme Brulee'. I love my 'Tiramisu'. My two Dolce Black Currant are doing very well. How about posting some pics, when you have the time.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Black Currant is my favorite of all my heuchs. It holds it color much better than most. I had to move it since the deer hit it at least three times this early spring. It's a wonder it survived! It's cousin, Creme Brulee was hit hard too and I have it in a cup in the greenhouse at the present time trying my best to save it. Here's Quilter's Joy. I'd never seen that one and liked the coloring on it. Similar to Dale's Strain I think. I *only* have 20 different cultivars plus a bunch of natives, I'm not addicted....

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Of course you're not, Doug.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

And I got that wrong.... Went yesterday evening and rechecked the tags and that last photo is actually of Mystic Angel.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It does look like my Mystic Angel, but I often confuse it with my Venus. Sometimes I have ID problems. This spring before the Heucheras took on their own personalities, they were all sort of red/peachy, even the Pinot Gris. The only Heucheras that never strayed were Marmalade and Snow Angel. The others have started to fit their genes.

Anxious to see Black currant.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Well this is Black Currant before the deer got to it 3 times. Even walking past a hosta and a hydrangea to get to it. Must REALLY taste good!
This was taken March 22nd this year.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

She's very hardy.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Now that you mentioned it, that Mystic Angel does look a lot like my Venus too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.