Agapanthus in Georgia

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Is anyone growing agapanthus in Georgia?

An ebay seller I bought a crinum from was selling an agapanthus.I got outbid on ebay, but I decided it would be a good plant to try because of the blue color,which I don't have in any of my summer flowers.

Bought a dark blue (standard) agapanthus,and a light sky blue agapanthus to see how they grow.

Just planted today. I'm not sure if I'll get blooms this year.

Here's a Dave's Garden pic file.

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2010/10/28/plantladylin/ebecbd.jpg

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a pic of one of the dark blue large agapanthus I bought.

Thumbnail by RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Agapanthus planted. Day one. Dark blue agapanthus lily-of-the nile (12) on left. Smaller Summer Skies agapanthus on right (4).

This message was edited May 2, 2012 8:58 PM

Thumbnail by RandyRick
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

There was a fall gathering of GA DGers several years back where several of us caravaned afterward to an end of year sale at a big wholesale grower in N. GA. They had Agapanthus in small pots for a few dollars. I bought one with expectations that it would get huge. We used to spend a lot of time in San Francisco. I only knew those giant stands of Agapanthus that are everywhere, including highway medians. I thought my purchase was a young plant. Now four or five years old, it is still small though spreading nicely. It blooms consecutively, several times from summer to fall with flowers under two inches. Not a floral wowzer but it fits in to my naturalized landscape

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel. If these grow for me I may eventually have some seed or divisions of the larger agapanthus to share.

That would be wonderful, Randy. Likewise with my little ones.

My little one is getting ready to bloom. I'll try to remember to take a photo.

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Me too.

One of the dark blue ones has a scape up now, so I should have my first blooms in another week or so.

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

One of the 12 Agapanthus lily of the Niles I planted this spring. None of the other 11 are showing a scape yet.

The Summer Skies have 4 scapes starting to open up so I should have a picture of them in another week.

Thumbnail by RandyRick
Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

When is agapanthus supposed to bloom? I had planted one two years ago in a remote area and forgot I had planted it, so for the past two years I thought it was monkey grass coming up since there is a bunch of it nearby and had been weed wacking it every so often. This year it leafed out way ahead of the monkey grass so I thought whoops this is that plant I planted awhile ago. Didn't do anymore trimming on it and it has a nice bunch of leaves about a foot tall but didn't bloom yet.

Mine blooms several times throughout summer. It is a miniature form. It took a year or two to bloom after planting.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Well maybe they will bloom if they don't get wacked anymore. Thx maypop

In truth, mine are kind of diddly. I thought I was buying young Agapanthus, not six inch Agapanthus. (

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

I took a couple pictures of the small Blue sky agapanthus, but they weren't spectacular. I've just had the one bloom form the large dark blue, and one set of 4 scapes from the small ones. diddly may be appropriate.

Its just their first year in the ground, so I'm happy to get one set of blooms. I've also obtained a single unknown agapanthus from a friend which is just starting to get its foliage above ground.

I expect better next year.

Jasper, TN(Zone 7a)

I used to grow Agapanthus in south Ga. Now in Chattanooga area and didn't realize they would grow here. I've seen several 12-18" clumps with flowers looking great! Hope to start some of my own.

Not all varieties are cold hardy. Make sure you get ones for your zone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.