CLOSED: ☼ 5th Annual RED, WHITE and BLUE SWAP ☼

Thanks Jaye,, It is hard to type on my phone but I am getting better at it every day. Just glad I am able to get online to be able to join the swaps.

I need a flag for the new place! Lol.
And anything else for the porch or yard too. Looking foward to this swap.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Ohhh Betty , How I wish I could ! !

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Let me be the first to wish all mothers here,
"Happy Mama's Day". May the weather co-operates Sunday, if your family chose to grill out.
May you get lots of "I love you Mama" from your kids.

This is a picture of my late Mum when she's 21 carrying my younger sister.

If you have pics of your Mum, please do share.

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Hanging basket for the mailbox is finished and hung....RWB!

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

How priveleged that mailbox must feel.
Salute!
We had a mailbox painted with beautiful red and white roses. Our mailman told us that he enjoys seeing decorated mailboxes, a marked difference from the standard regulation along his route.
So Susan, you're also making your mailman's job a pleasant one with that basket.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Happy Mother's Day!!
May you be treated as royalty and showered with gratitude!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks Jaye! Happy Mothers day to everyone!

thanks Jaye

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ^_^ great big HUGS to Y'all

Thumbnail by barefootT
(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Happy Mother's Day ladies!

Pacifica, CA

happy mothers day all..

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I wanna play! Count me in!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Yayy.. here comes Patti!!

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

Happy Mother's Day to everyone. I hope your days were wonderful.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Heaven, I was>>>>>>(treated like royalty).

Barefoot.. that bouquet is stunning, what's the blue tho, can't quite figure it out? And were you lucky enough to have that come from your garden?

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmm, Kathy. They're not really too clear. Might be delphinums, but certainly not freesias.
Such a pretty arrangement Thunder. Thanks.

Few more days and you'd get your buddy's name!
There are already patriotic gifts on sale, hope there are plenty of choices.
Besides your usual stores, don't forget the craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michael's.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I would like to join. I purchased stuff last year when it was on sale, need to go thru my stash of stuff, excited. Have lots of red and white plants, and some blue.

Robyn, would you share your trade secrets on the bird bath? I bought this light fixture (coca cola) for my sister (she collects coke stuff) then figured out it wouldn't fit in her kitchen (which is decoreated in coke stuff) and I have been holding on to this thing for 10 years. What a great idea to use it as a bird bath...... She patience does win...rofl.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Joyce, your name's added!
Good that you had amassed some RWBs.
Wouldn't surprise me if you intend to paint some frogs, that color!!

Just a pretty picture I found when surfing the web :)

names coming soon ohhh ahhhh LOL ^_^

Did ya'll see the Marine who came home from Afghanistan after being deployed for a year? He got the surprise of his life reuniting with his family. Have a tissue or two handy. This one's a real good, feel good video that will touch your heart in more ways than one. We saw it on The Today Show last week but wanted to post the link in case you missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsClZ1Bnqy4

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I used more than one tissue.

Joyce that bird bath is easy peasy. find something that is tall enough to make a base. I found a big metal vase at the consignments store. You can use more than one thing to 'stack' on top of each other for the base. I used E6000 glue and a clear outdoor silicone. Attach everything together with both glue and silicone on the outside of the glue so water doesn't compromise the glue. For the hole in the middle of the fixture I used a clear flat bottom gem (the kind that decorates the inside of vases) I glued it in and 24 hours later I put the silicone over and around the gem.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh Susan, thank you! Kel and I watched it together, and I couldn't wait for tissues. Had to use the hem of my shirt..

I used to work with athetoid children, back in Singapore.
What they lack physically, they make up with their warm hearts and especially their smiles.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

the hem of my skirt is soaking with tears. I love a happy ending and an even better beginning.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I sure did lost, and thanks for adding my name. I love all the RW&B items out there and have to stop and look at each one. Mmmm a RW&B frog, now that sounds interesting.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Robyn, are you the kind of reader that peeks at the last page to make sure the book has a happy ending? That's me!
Don't care for tragic stories... the world is sad enough.

You are welcome Pegi!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the info Robyn, I will have to keep a look out for a base now....finally I can give this to her and get it out of my house...rofl.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

We certainly have a nice group here. Few more days to go!
Don't forget, if you don't feel like making your legs do the shopping, use your fingers. Plenty of RWB online.

Collections Etc and Terry's Village have some nice collection. Plus they'd mail your gift directly to your buddy. Don't have to make that trip to the P.O. nor worry about wrapping.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

I can hardly wait to get my name. Well the name of my buddy that is. LOL

I have my stuff ready, just waiting on a name to mail them too!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Good to see the excitement here! I'm ready for my buddy's name too :D

When is the mail out date Jaye? I know you posted it, but can't seem to find it? Maybe place it in the top post please?

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Second post, LK. Good idea to bring that up.

Thanks Jaye!

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Just finished reading my first book on my kindle, but I've added so many free books that it will take me a while to read them all. I don't look at the last page, want to be surprised at the ending.

Going to check out all the RW&B items I have put aside for this swap then sit and wait for my buddy's name. I've got some really wonderful treasures and memories from past swaps.

bet the video is good, but I just can not watch those kinda things.....I get way way too emotional!!! can't watch anything movies / tv shows...geared around military either...

think Judy took a picture that shows my nails, not sure if she has access with her computer issues?? not sure I could do justice to the Canada maple leaf??? maybe if i did it like a quilt block??? would be fun to try.

I was reading a paper back book the other night, and hubs said I needed to see if I could get it on the kindle :) he's been spoiled by it, He says the noise of the paper pages turning drive him crazy :) the Kindle does come in handy for bed time reading.

(((Group Hug!)))

Anybody remember the good ol' days when you never thought about locking your doors? While growing up, my parents never locked ours, even when we went on vacation to Florida or Myrtle Beach for a week, or to the Smoky Mountains for a long week-end to leaf peep in the Fall. Neighbors weren't just a word but were real people you grew up with and knew so well, much like a surrogate family. A lot of ours were closer than my own kin. Growing up in the South, kids showed respect and affectionately called elders and neighbors Mr. or Miss followed by their first names. Nobody minded hard work either or pitching in to mow the grass when our lawn mower quit, and can remember well how so many helped gather veggies from my Dad's large garden because it was too much for the three of us, Everybody took fresh veggies home for their efforts. And oh my gosh, those yummy pies and cakes shared just because they wanted to, not to mention how the neighborhood came together and brought potluck dishes when we lost someone in the neighborhood.

Oh yes I remember :)

Pacifica, CA

i remember too! and i want them back...
i loved sitting with the neighbors learning how to can and preserve
then to be gifted with the fabulous jar of jam and pickles,
mom never had to worry where i was, then to be able to walk the roads and just take in the scenery and wild life.

oh and the milk delivery, and the bakery on wheels oh i miss those great times.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Back in Singapore, the elders are still addressed as Aunties or Uncles. Mum had a maid when we were small, and for the longest time, I truly thought she's kin, as we called her "Auntie" until she retired.
The same goes for our neighbours, and apartment dwelling, doesn't give us any privacy nor much needed personal space. Yet, tolerance is expected.
Oh yes, we have the breadman on wheels, the ice cream "Uncle" and this Indian guy who sold an assortment of nuts on a tray, balanced on his head. They could sell their wares without fear of being robbed.
Travelling "Uncle" barber who'd have his tools in a small suitcase, when time for lunch, would leave that with Mum. Poor guy, having only daughters in India had to eke out a living in Singapore for their dowries.
Oops.. I'm straying off the topic.
Anyway, neighbours became extended family. Whenever Mum would make special meals, us kids were made to deliver some to them. The whole menu, right up to desserts!
Neighbours of different races would return in kind too. So for Chinese New Year, we expected monied red packets, during Deepavali (Indian celebration) we anticipated their delicious Indian cakes, whereas for Christmas, the Eurasion Aunties would give us whole Christmas Cakes that's soaked with rum. (only indulgence in alcohol for my Muslim family)
We would also get reprimanded from Aunties and Uncles if Mum were to complain that we had misbehaved or our grades fell short!
When Dad can't use his legs, a slew of "Uncles" would pop in to help. Then when Mum died, neighbouring "Aunties" checked in on the younger kids.
As with Susan, our neighbours were closer than kin.

If your address isn't listed, please dmail me your snail mail.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257034/

Coma and check out the raise my baby swap. It is always lots of fun!

Liz, I'd forgotten about our milkman who made weekly deliveries and the glass jars that were redeemed for 10 cents each, then recycled for someone's next order. We lived on a dead-end road and often toured the surrounding streets on my bike, and peddled fresh eggs in its basket for allowance money. Come supper time or if I was 5 minutes past the time I was supposed to be home, you could hear my Mom's voice calling and echoing all over the neighborhood...lol

Wonderful memories, Jayebird, including so many diverse cultures. I'm not in the addy exchange but believe you have my snail mail. If not, let me know and I'll shoot a D-mail to ya.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.