May Flowers

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

May is a lovely month with all they new blooms & promising veggies coming through the soil.
A little sun & rain will make a bumper crop.

(Zone 7a)

Sounds like Heaven. ^_^

We have some rain last night. Haven't checked to see how much but everything got a good soaking and that's what counts.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

First thunderstorm of the season currently happening , warm pleasant temps. 60's 70's . Should make everything grow nicely.

Mountain View, HI

Kwanjin - what is that bloom?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's a columbine that Kwanjin posted. I just don't know which one. lol. I have several myself. Great plants to have!!

Hot and humid. Was sunny most of the day, now cloudy.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

Columbine "Origami Red and White.' It's one of my favorites. Here is another...'Clementine Dark Purple'

73º here today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

81°/65°
Scattered thunderstorms, especially during the morning. A few storms may be severe. High 81F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%

Thanks for the thread Bernie,
I am so glad to finally be in May :o)

Celia,
I think the red columbine are my favorite color.
I have a red perennial called Red Hobitt and it reseeds true to color. But it barely reseeds. I still only have one plant. The yellow Swallowtail does to, and it really reseeds. I have some potted from last year for the free pile.

Pepper,
Pretty iris!! Love the color!

Celia,
You would love Ruby Port too!

A T-storm went thru south of us this morning, but the majority went north of us. The weather alert went off for the northern counties about 2:30 am.

Grandmother's Garden are random colors and pleated
Ruby Port may seed into a brighter but still gorgeous color
Oops, I think I got a corydalis in there :o)
Red Hobbit and Swallowtail

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

About 1" of rain last night. The drought is over ?
Sunny this morning going for 75º. Is this heaven or what ?

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh please send rain this way...my well is even struggling. The days are very pleasant but the breezes, although nice, are drying everything out. My peppers are loving it though. No rain in the forecast until next weekend...ugh! Our only weather alert is fire weather watch.

Love all the beautiful flowers, the columbine are really nice, I've never seen that.

Desert Rose blooming real nice now, bumble bee on my Penta, Hawk last night perched above us in our oak while we were watching the sunset, those dark eyes.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
(Zone 7a)

Here's hoping you get the rain you need, SK!

I love almost all Columbines. I have an 'Origami Blue and White', too but it's blooming sporadically right now.

More rain last night. Another friend of mine reminded me of the song Camelot where is only rains at night. That's been us lately! ^_^

61º and sunny.

I got this little Blue Spruce from Lowe's last year on Arbor Day. It's happy as can be.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

High 80s, humid and windy. Sunny too.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Rain off and on ,some sun ,80's .humid.60's for tonight

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Sun, high eighties, seventies at night. Rain chances went away......oh well. Guess I'll have to water again.

We are nearing the end of our projects at Mom's old house. Hope to call the Realtor Friday or Monday.

This has really drained my energy. I think I am down to a plus 1 on a scale of 1 to 10.....Thank goodness we are almost done. Please keep us in your prayers.

Dearest sister and her bf have the flu, and he just got out of the hospital for a mild heart attack!

Hope everyone else is OK!

Jeanne

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

71°/80°/61°
Partial cloudiness early, with scattered showers and thunderstorms during the afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%

It's a gorgeous morning. That one perfect temp after a long chilly spring. It's balmy. I see June bugs, a crane fly, a few sizes of moths and last night there was a very persistent and a very reluctent red admiral both determined. They must have flown all day barely, staying where they lit. I'm sure I saw a wren altho he's not singing yet and I did have a bluebird :o)

Bernie,
The words were already out of my mouth. Yes, it's Heaven!

Sherri,
I hope you get rain. I hate to hear about your well running dry :o(
If our town ever went to a water tower, they want to pump it from the river rather than our aquifiers. ICK!
Nice pictures! I love Penta, but it's an annual here.

Celia,
Awww! Don't you just love new pine buds?

Jeanne,
When you are all done, I hope you can take one day to just rest and sort out your thoughts.
I am so glad I got my flu shot! I've heard of it going around. Prayers for both to get well.

DH mowed for me yesterday. I'm still tired and fighting sinus. Not 100% like I hoped :o(

Mountain View, HI

Beautiful Hawaiian Weather is trying to return. A little cloudy to start with but when my wife and I drove down to Hilo this morning the sun came out, white puffy clouds and the Pacific Ocean was sparkling blue. A nice fresh trade wind to keep is cool. Got home midday after going decadent with a Klondyke Ice Cream and subway for lunch and dinner. Really feel like laid back retirees.
I wonder if Columbine will grow in Hawaii. I bet Home Depot has seed. We shall see.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

April showers bring May flowers.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

And.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

A couple more.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Hot and humid. Cloudy off and on today. It looked like it would rain at times but it never did.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It was nice and hot here today, upper 80's with the same forecast for a few days, rained the past two days with more to come later this weekend. May is the wettest month of the year for us in central indiana. light winds and comfortable.

nice, nice, garden ,with the pics! countrygardens

kwanjin; Grandma got a bunch of trees for arbor day,and guess who gets to plant them wondering where they should go(lol)

Mountain View, HI

I spoke too soon. At about 2pm the breeze picked up and pushed in moderate rain showers and grey skies. Cloud was down in the tree tops at 4.30pm which is beautiful in its own way.

countrygardens - I love those green lawns and Irises.

This is one of our May flowers - I believe it is Mendenilla Grandiflora - might have the spelling wrong

Thumbnail by microb
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

63°/81°/57°
Isolated thunderstorms this morning. Skies will become partly cloudy this afternoon. Warm. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Tornado warning last night but the worst of everything went under and over us. We didn't even get the wind.

Mike,
Your weather sounds like mine yesterday. It doesn't get any better than that!
Columbine likes poor rocky soil, but adapts.
What an elaborate, beautiful, complex bloom!

Bernie,
Just beautiful in full green dotted with color!
I remember you working on a couple of these beds last year. Love the line of Lilies and can't wait for the line of Iris!

Our ground temp as of yesterday was 58°. I took tomatoes and little cabbage out to start hardening off. The tomatoes got tall fast! The cabbage seem to burn under the lights so I am learning to get them into cooler air right away. Trouble is, they get so leggy first. I'm not sure I can sink them, altho the first ones I set out I did, and they lived. I was either going to save them or lose them, so had nothing to lose, LOL!

Yesterday I put in a couple hours of weeding on the outer edges of the South Peony. It was slow going as the dandelion digger had to be used for almost every weed. I also tried to just get the dandelions and chickweed. They were really spread out and when pulled made a lot of ''room,'' LOL!

Going out to DD's today. Since I haven't been out, she's getting behind and picking up the ''sick'' we are all almost done with.

Have a beautiful day all!

(Zone 7a)

55º, partly cloudy, breezy. Thunder showers likely.

Columbine 'Origami Blue and White'

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

80s and cloudy here, 5to 8 mph winds, nice day, and love the pics and flowers,brightens the place.

High 80s, humid and sunny. I got a load of garden soil and compost and started spreading it on my veggie bed on top of the cardboard. Not nearly enough but it's a start. Would have been better if I had remembered potting soil so I could get some more planters going. LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We had a little rain this afternoon. Almost 4" in a short time.
This is our garden after the rain.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
(Zone 7a)

We have a hard freeze coming tonight. Seedlings that self sowed need protection so I'm going to get covers for them. Them and anything else that might need it.

51º now and cloudy.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was hoping to be done with hearing that 'freeze' word, The weather temps. are sure reminding all that nature as wild as ever.

Near 80 and and cloudy today,rained bunches last night. no wind ,humid and comfortable.

blue flag and midnight

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Well it finally made it to 90 today...each day looks like it might rain but then the seabreeze blows it away. Next week they say a better chance.

Bernie I love the green green green, bet those hostas fill in real nice...keep posting pictures, I love hostas but they hate our heat.

Mike what a stunning bloom, I bet Hawaii has some unique flowers.

Jeanne, hope things get going with your mom's house. Sorry to hear about the sickness and a heart attack...yikes.

Billy glad the tornado missed you. I'm still getting tomatoes but the the heat and dry temps are taking a toll on them, don't know how much longer they're going to produce. The cherry tomatoes have slowed down considerably, but still getting blossoms.

kwanjin, seems like we shouldn't be hearing hard freezes anymore, this has been one crazy weather roller coaster this season. Hope you plants fare well and the freeze is short lived.

Juhur your weather sound pretty much perfect to me.

Well hopefully next time I check in I can shout, WE GOT RAIN! :) Have a great week everyone.
I think my cat is telling me I get on the computer too much...lol.

-Sherri

Thumbnail by sunkissed

No change in weather really.

Mountain View, HI

I wish the weather would make up its mind what to do. Light rain all morning and now nice blue sky and fluffy white clouds and HOT, only about 80f but humid after the rain. The ground is like walking on a wet sponge. Can't really do anything except walk around and enjoy the fruits of past labor.
Will probably put a potted Fuchsia into a hanging basket to make some outside bench room for the Fuchsia cutting that came in the mail a couple of weeks ago. They look like they are over travel shock and could do with some cool rain and sunshine.

Love that cat Sherri and that fruit bowl looks better than what we can get in Hawaii.

Storms this morning, lunchtime, and now the last couple hours or so. Tornados forming then falling apart before doing any damage. Hail is very damaging in these storms tonight. A guy my dad does work for already has called with damage at his place. There was also a tornado about 1-2 miles south of him earlier.

Very active night!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Thunderstorms 63° RealFeel® 55°

Got lightnings hit alot and raining so there is Flash Flood warning....

JuJu is not afraid of lightning! Good Girl! lol....

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

61°/72°/48°
Showers early with some clearing for the afternoon. Thunder is possible early. High 72F. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Celia,
Love blue columbine! Love the blue ''honey wells."

Ju,
Finally good weather!
Beautiful iris!

Pepper,
Dirt doesn't go very far does it?

Bernie,
A little rain? LOL!
Your gardens look great! Hopefully the rain soaked in right away.

Sherri,
It's so depressing whan the rain dries up or blows in another direction. I sure hope you get some soon.
Grinning, that's exactly what your cat is saying! Isn't he pretty!

Mike,
Too much rain is no fun either.

Pepper,
We've been lucky to not be in the path of any tornado or hail.

Ju,
Laughing, good girl indeed!

Yesterday I mowed and dug a few things for the free pile. I need to get that started. My iris are in full swing with a lot not opened yet. I sniff them every day :o)

(Zone 7a)

We missed the hard freeze! Yea!

51º and sunny. It feels like 70º out there. ^_^

I love all the pics and stories!

Sunny and cooler with temps in the high 70s. Had some rain this morning but it finally went away.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It was raining yesterday morning at this time it is raining this morning also.Had some thunder and lightning yesterday afternoon for a while. Rain ,rain and more rain, I'll miss it later this summer,isn't that always way.Everything is rather a wet mucky, messy.

Mountain View, HI

Weather is settling down to a normal spring/summer pattern. Light showers and cloud over night. Early morning sun burns off the cloud so by 10am it nice blue sky and white fluffy clouds with a breeze. By afternoon its hot. Then by 5pm cloud builds back and showers start again to repeat the pattern. Quite pleasant and predictable. Everything grows like crazy.
Over 80 buds on the Orchid cactus plants. Should be quite a show in a few weeks. Might have four night bloomers come out this week.
When I try and attach more than two photos my computer times out the "send" process and I have to start from scratch. Lets just try two this time
One is a torch ginger and the other a garden shot.

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb

A perfect day really. High 70s, sunny and not much of a breeze.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thunder and lightning like crazy around midnight, but not much rain, if any. It's been cloudy all day, a great day just to rest. Supposed to rain tomorrow. We sure could use it. Then it is supposed to cool down again.....yea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.