Time to introduce myself!

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

I've been lurking and posting sporadically, and just found this intro forum, so I decided to post.

I got into gardening and growing orchids after an illness put me in a wheelchair in 2005. When my recovery plateaued we decided to buy a ranch-style home in 2009, and I started to go a little insane over orchids, and then my garden.

We used to be boaters, and I was accustomed to spending the entire summer outdoors, but had never had an interest in gardening. Now I grow (in no particular order): peonies; clematis; roses; blueberries; tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, shallots and herbs; woodland wildflowers like trillium; lilacs; and a variety of perennials for hummingbirds and butterflies. Oh, and I have over 250 orchids I grow indoors under lights in the winter and outdoors during the summer.

Along with the gardening I have developed an interest in birdwatching and photography to memorialize my birdies and my blooms.

Gardening and has provided me with great enjoyment and some personal peace. I also enjoy sharing photos and experiences with cyber friends!

Katherine

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey, Katherine, check out the Accessible Gardening Forum! I have MS and have found many other gardeners with disabilities there .
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/disabled/all/

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, that is quite a collection! Welcome to davesgarden!

Thanks, Carrie. I've visited there, posted once or twice, and have it as one of my "watched" forums. There is so much going on in this site, I could spend all day just reading!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, Koshi, so could we all. Some of us do, in fact. (Not a confession, not precisely, but maybe.)

Dolan Springs, AZ(Zone 9a)

Welcome to Dave's Garden from me too! It's great that you have 'bounced' into something so enjoyable and healing, and have found so many new things to love. Those life changing experiences sure can test your mettle! I'll watch for you over in the Orchids forum too! :>) Welcome again!

Thanks, MD
I haven't posted in the orchids forum yet, but will hopefully get around to posting some of my favorite pretties soon. I am anxious for the weather to warm up so I can take the bulk of them outdoors for the summer...so much easier to care for them with a hose!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.