Now, this is funny! Kinda...

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

A neighbor spends the winter in southern Florida and always brings back plants.
They mentioned that they had bought a lily. Excellent, I like lilies, I'd be more than happy helping them decide where to plant it and the other plants.
This is a picture of their lily. Uummm....... i don't think it's a lily......;)
Gotta love it!
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like an Epidendrum to me.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

On the positive side, it will probably survive IF they give it some winter protection. I take it your neighbors aren't long time gardeners.LOL!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Hawk - I agree.
I put it in a pot on their porch and since I take their non-cold hardy plants to my greenhouse in the colder moths, it should survive...;)
No, they are definitely NOT gardeners. I have given them some of my tropical hibiscus to enjoy over the summer and the husband always calls them hydrangeas. To the point that now, I don't even correct him....
It was just too funny to see their "lily"!!
Barb

Bethlehem, PA(Zone 6a)

I have Epi. Peach Valley 'Dream Song' blooming now, and from what I can see of your plant, it looks just like mine.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ha! Keep it above freezing and it will thrive in full sun!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The local big box stores in S. FL. sell these in that size pot as landscape plants. They are unnamed Epis., maybe species Epi. ibaguense. https://www.google.com/search?q=epidendrum+ibaguense&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kXc&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source= Fun to grow and easy. They grow in loose very potting soil or bark. I've grew them in situ, when I was a wee(r) one in S. FL., at the base of palm trees and in the crooks of water oaks. The plants and their spikes can become very dense and start to climb up the trees. That's when they look best.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.