Central PA Poly Tunnel

Altoona, PA(Zone 6a)

I've been inspired by Eliot Coleman's books on 4 season gardening in the northeast, so, starting small, I make some easy poly tunnels over two raised beds. Planted a month ago April 1st), This week, I am able to harvest salad fixin's with spinach and leaf lettuce thinings, radishes and green onions. All seeds (onion set) less the Kale, Large spinach, cabbage, broc and cauli. Seeds planted were: spinach, leaf lettuce, carrots, turnips, parsnips, beets, and bok choy.

Thumbnail by rothdavid Thumbnail by rothdavid Thumbnail by rothdavid Thumbnail by rothdavid Thumbnail by rothdavid
Thomaston, CT

Wow, I'm impressed...the plants look great....my neighbors, who have a small farm, use poly tunnels along with a couple of greenhouses....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My father used to have something similiar, pvc attached to a wood frame and had a cord attached over the top and on both ends so we could lift it off the beds

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Fascinating! Did you find rolls of polypropylene? I've been looking all over, and finally bought a few sheets that are only 1/8 inch or less thick. I actually wanted large rolls of 1/4 inch stuff to protect my camellias next winter. Then I'd love to graduate to growing food like you, rothdavid.

Altoona, PA(Zone 6a)

thanks everyone for the comments. I relocated back to my home town after 20 years in Southwest FL. Gardening down there was very hard indeed...

The poly tunnels are very simple. 3/4" PVC, 3/4" pipe clamps and some ingenuity, it was done. The PVC was 8 " lengths, I cut off 18" and purchased a 50" roll of 12' x 50' of 4 mil plastic to cover... I weighted the plastic down with old bricks and 4x4's I had laying around.

The plastic was the most expensive, total I think for the PVC, plastic and clamps was under $30. The Plastic is readily available at almost any big box store. Home Depot and Lowes carry it.

The beds are 4" x 8" x 12" pine boxes with a center brace, (non pressure treated) those were made and painted last fall. It was a fun project and I am amazed every day just how warm, humid and tranquil life is inside the tunnels. I open up one or both ends the circulate air. I will remove them in a week or two, just remove the plastic, the PVC and leave the metal clamps attached to the sides.

I had my first harvest Monday, spinach, kale and radishes... I can thin the leaf lettuces now too and have more salad and radishes. I encourage everyone to give it a try !

This message was edited May 4, 2012 8:32 AM

If the sun comes out keep your eyes on it. You might want to have a fan on standby

Altoona, PA(Zone 6a)

schickenlady, I'm on it.. I am fortunate that I work from home. I am to open them up in the mornings. When I open either or both ends, it does not trap the heat.. thy are only 8' long. I'll be removing them permanently, perhaps as soon as this weekend.

More pics to come. David

Altoona, PA(Zone 6a)

I removed the covers today... ! Here are some more pics

Thumbnail by rothdavid Thumbnail by rothdavid Thumbnail by rothdavid Thumbnail by rothdavid Thumbnail by rothdavid
Thomaston, CT

Wow...it looks wonderful!

I am surprised radishes made it. I guess I should put my GH to more use.

I dont know where to post this stuff! Here is a sneaky peaky. I am not planting 89 tomatoe plants again this year! 1/2 is done. The next half will start as soon as the seeds germinate. All broad leaf on the other side. I dont want to take up Davids thread. We will be doing a veggie garden thread I hope at some point. btw my name is

Sherrie

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Altoona, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow Sherrie... You have a large poly tunnel, great for seed starting.. I made little ones over the raised beds so I could start them earlier... direct sowed all into the soil except for the kale, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower which I bought as 6 pk seedlings at the local farmers market !

I hope everyone is gardening this year ! Eat Well !

Thomaston, CT

Nice plants, Sherrie!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I keep saying this....I really need to get a veggie garden going

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.