Fragant peony in front of clematis?

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

I just relocated a Miss Kim lilac, which in our excitement over having bought our new house, DH and I had planted in the wrong place. I didn't realize how big "Little" could get, so I decided to move it while it was still relatively small.

Anyway, there is a big hole left where it was. In that bed are Black-eyed Susans, a hydrangea that we only just last summer learned how to bloom (lol, don't cut off the old growth), and a clematis that might be a Gypsy Queen...dark purple. To the left of that bed are some red bea balms.

I'm thinking about putting a peony in that spot. It should bloom before everything else, will provide a support system to the clematis, and will fade into the background with the Susans.

I am partial to doubles and would like a highly fragrant variety to put in that spot. A tall grower would be ok. I'd like to pick something that could grow into a large specimen plant.

So, I'm looking for a large, double, highly fragrant peony that would fit in that space. Any suggestions?

I also have a window of opportunity to put another clematis in along this fence. I'm thinking a white clem would be good in this place. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Katherine

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Either my peonies are not scented or my sniffer is out of order. Maybe PlantFiles would indicate which ones have the most fragrance. You could always pose your question on the Peony Forum. They are an enthusiastic group and I think they'd have the answer for you.

The peonies will expand and so will the clematis, hence you'll have major root competition. If you select any herbaceous peony it will have to be cut to the ground in the fall so select a clematis that is class/group/type 3.

There are many nice white clematises. Among them are Candida Lanuginosa (can take shade), Lemon Chiffon (yellow center), then the class 1 montana Grandiflora with almost Dogwood type flowers in huge abundance. I'm sure others will see your post and state their favorite white clem's.

Candida Lanuginosa:

Thumbnail by pirl
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Festiva Maxima is a lovely white double peony with random red markings in the center- and it's intensely fragrant. I'm sure there are others, but that one I know.

Pam

Festiva Maxima was planted by the original owners of our home fifty years ago. I've divided it and sent it to other DG people in the past.

I'd still be wary of planting a clematis near a peony - too much root competition.

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

OOPS.... bad me. I did that.

Either you'll injure the peony roots when the clem and peony grow or you'll hurt the clematis IF you try to move either of them. Maybe you'll never want to move either and then you're safe.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will have to see how big the Peonies gets this year, both are only a year old. so I could move this fall if needed.

If you want them there together and they look good just let them grow and be happy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.