Why doesn't Mount Hood Daffodils bloom here in the mid-South

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Planted a bunch of the Mt. Hood Daffs and they did not bloom well at all. Mostly foliage. Any thoughts appreciated.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Daffodils need a winter chill period. If you do not get that chill period you can dig them up yearly and chill them for about a month in the veg drawer of a refrigerator then replant in the fall.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I IMAGINE YOU GET CHILL THERE. HOWEVER, YOU MAY GET TOO MUCH HEAT. THEY CAN TAKE SOME SHADE. WITH OUR UNUSUALLY WARM WINTER, EVERYTHING IS ACTING ODDLY. GIVE THEM A LITTLE FERTILIZER AND LET THE BULBS GROW. DO NOT CUT OFF THE LEAVES UNTIL THEY GO BROWN.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Brad, I'm puzzled too. Article after article claims that Mt. Hood is one of the best daffodils for the south. - Southern Living, Clemson Extension, Wayside Gardens - and they make reference to them blooming well in south Texas. The Old House Gardens website, where I got mine, also stated that it was one of the best for the south, although it isn't offered this year.

There are references to success in zone 8! So I agree with Woodspirit. Give them some love.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks guys, we fed them properly, waited until the foliage turned yellow to snip off. They are in a wooded area with afternoon shade. There are over 1,000 bulbs. I think the mild winter likely had an effect on them. Hope for good blooms next spring.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

They need at least 6 hours of sun a day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.