CLOSED: April Showers Bring May Flowers

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

First and only time my late Mother and a lifelong girlfriend of hers ever flew was for an East to West Coast visit when I lived near San Fran. That was over 20 years ago, Carey, and am sure the City itself has changed a lot over the years, but the landmarks remain timeless. The 10 days they were with me flew by and we stayed on-the-go! We toured everything in Golden Gate Park, went to the Zoo, took a drive down Lombard Street "crookedist in the World", visited Coit Tower, witnessed a wedding at the Palace of Fine Arts, took a ferry ride to Alcatraz, ate lunch at Fisherman's Wharf & toured Pier 39, ate dinner in Little Italy, went across the Golden Gate Bridge to a craft show in Sausalito (my boss at the time lived on a boat there), took a Cable Car ride, ate Dim Sum in Chinatown and introduced them to sweet Asian Pears, spent a day at Big Basin State Park admiring the OMG majestic Redwoods, and even managed to squeeze in an A's baseball game in Oakland. I'm still a diehard Giants fan but at that time Dennis Eckersley was such a hunk and one heck of a pitcher...lol

I'd like to know what 2 and 5 are as well. Also pic #1 White blooms with Blue tips. Heck, I want to know what all of them are. Kathy, you really have such a great variety of plants, so diverse from the usual fare found here.

Antioch, TN

Susie, where are you putting all these plants that you keep buying? How many acres are in your garden? I may have to pay you a visit.....I keep my shovel in my car always and my trunk is lined with plastic......... I am ready for those opportune moments.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good Gawd Froot - what a trip!

I tell people to go somewhere else when they ask "what's in Greensboro?"

Back right when I moved here and people asked me what do you do in Greensboro, I used to say, "I travel a lot."

ick.

Things are much improved since I got here, but still . . ...

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I am sore from head to toe all because of this.

First shot: Plants I have to work with (many are in the blue tub.)
Second shot: Pot one ... Heuchera Marmalade?, some cute little hanging basket plant and Pinewood Thyme.
Third: A geranium loaded with buds, Raspberry wine monarda, and something I can't remember the name.
Fourth: The pool cover. I'm taking the pic from a sitting position, removing each and every strap.

Thumbnail by tikipod Thumbnail by tikipod Thumbnail by tikipod Thumbnail by tikipod

Those were some of the best 10 days of my life, except the two weeks I spend with my Mom the last Christmas she was alive. We had girl days decorating her tree, spent a lot of time in our PJ's way past Noon, ate hotdogs (her fav), and went through shoeboxes full of old family pictures. I still have them and made notes on the back of each one...who, what, when and where.

Oh how funny, Velma, I keep a shovel in the back of my Explorer too and it's lined with plastic. Paid a visit today to my favorite nursery for plants for my hanging baskets. Not a short drive through the mountains, but it's close as the crow flies. The owner is a friend and we had a good laugh when he loaded me up and saw the plastic liner.

Take it easy, Ang. That looks like a big pool. I passed a lot of pretty annual and perennial Geraniums today that also had pretty price tags.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Them's good memories, Froot. :)

These two geraniums were 6.98 and are loaded with buds. Not really a fan but these I liked. You can see the pink one in the first photo. I plan to take cuttings of both lol

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

#2 is Senetti Deep Blue and Osteospurmum (a spoon type), #5 is Senetti Blue and to the right is Senetti Magenta, #1 Senetti Light Blue Bicolor, and #3&4 are also annual Osteospurmums. These are all new for me, but have grown perennial Osteospurmum (pix1 is osteo. Purple Mountain thinking it's z5-8 and blooms all season at 14-18").
And gosh sorry half my post disappeared. Hmmm! Wonder what happened.
I got those from a grower that supplies our local grocery chain, my garden club went there for a tour and we got to buy at wholesale. I will be volunteering on Mem. day weekend and in exchange I get $200 in goodies. Gosh, I hope I don't regret it, I'll have to make sure I leave my purse at home, lol.
I promise to try and get seeds from all.
Are you kidding me.... a shovel....egads...LOL,( I have gloves, trowels, a linolium cutter, prunners, plastic bags of all sizes and some pots) I know how naughty is that, lol. You just never know when you need such things, plus my other excuse is that I work in my daughter's garden too.
Tiki..just love those new heucheras, it's amazing how many new varieties there are now..

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Today is my boyfriend's birthday and we went to lunch with his parents after church. I love talking with his mom because she's into gardening, as well as his sister.

No gardening for me today but I'm thinking of tossing my kenaf hibiscus out. Not like into the trash but setting it outside. I KNOW I should do the hardening off thing but I suck at it so bad because my memory is awful. The two hardy hibiscus seedlings I sat out are doing beautifully. I think it's time for my Kenaf baby to go out, her leaves are starting to look more and more like maple leaves.

BTW, can I pinch these back?

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

COME ON UP velmansia we can fix ya right up any time , type you want large med or small .

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

Went to amplant sale and what did I buy: Spirea gold flame, agastache golden jubilee, lupine, a NOID double pink peony (we exchanged phone numbers and will track down that name), lantana miss huff, plus some eggplant and hot pepper seedlings. When I got home DH was taking apart the kids old trampoline to pass on to another family we met thru free cycle. That nice bare sunny spot....that's where all my new plants can go!
It was a fun little sale, at the state farmers market and with growers from the northern part of the state. Great prices. But I'm starting to see the more I spend time gardening flowers the less satisfied I am withnthe run of the mill varieties. For instance I was hoping to find two scented echinacea, fragrant angel (white) and flame thrower. Nothing doing, not one grower had anything but pow wow or Magnus. May end up ordering those. There is one more nursery to call tomorrow, in between working! LOL.

Athens, PA

Judy

you may also find somebody nice to trade with here on DG. Check out the plant trading forum. There are also the plant files - you can go in and see who has the plant to trade or who wants the plant for trade. It is the link just under the top portion that shows '18 members haveor want this plant to trade'. Dmail me if you need more information as to where to find this.

Carolyn

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW Fruit. That's a heck of a busy time! I'm hoping to see half as much (DH has to 'work' both Thursday and Friday)...you'll be happy to know we're going to a sponsored game for the Giants, and will be in one of the fancy skyboxes. :) We're staying right near Golden Gate Park over the weekend. Just a little excited!! :D

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Carey, that sounds like a GREAT time! Enjoy!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257034/

Raise my baby swap is open, come and join the fun! Bring your own Moonshine!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Carey it would be so fun, so excited for you.....I wouldn't need to be babysitted if I was somewhere, heck I could find all kinds of cool things to do that DH wouldn't be interested in at all....I would feel sorry for him...rofl.

I hope to Patti!

Joyce - I'm going to spend most of Thursday and Friday at Golden Gate Park, and DH has to work. The fancy camera is going along and I'm going to go crazy! :) Hopefully I'll remember to eat!

Oh remember to post pics for us poor folks, it will be so amazing!

You bet I will! I'll put them on Picasa or something. Not enough room on DG :)

Are you packed yet, Carey? I can't wait to hear about your trip and see where you went.

Judy, if I'd known your wanted an A. Golden Jubilee, I could have sent a volunteer in your April box. They do love to self-seed.

Sorry Fruity! We're leaving next week. :)

I had a good laugh yesterday! Sometimes the mockingbirds drive me crazy since they're so territorial...but then that's also a benefit! That pesky squirrel apparently got too close to Mr. Mockingbird, so the bird chased that squirrel down the tree and all the way across our neighbor's lawn. Squirrel was screeching and squawking the whole way as he was getting pecked and clawed. LOL

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Where'd everyone go??? I thought I lost the thread or something LOL.

I was doing some weeding at the house this weekend and discovered a rock underneath the weeds.. imagine my surprise! This is what I found :)

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

And this is my first flower at the new house. Is it an azalea, do you think?

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

FOV the problem is I don't know that I want a plant until I see it. That A. Golden Jubilee just called to me!

It's one of the first to pop up in Spring, Judy, and just glows with its bright chartreuse leaves all Season. You'll love it, and it does freely self-seed.

Missy Clan, Azaleas bloom in clusters and those long leaves aren't right for them either. It looks like a Rhododendron to me. Anybody know for sure?

Happy trails, Carey. Have a fabulous time in San Fran. Sure do wish I could be a stowaway in your suitcase.

The photo at the top of the page is my neighbor's Pink Rhodie. See how your leaves compare to it, Chris.

Love that rock Chris! Nice surprise!

Definitely a rhodie. Saw several just like at the botanical gardens today.

Fruity, over 500 pictures taken so far. I need another memory card. :)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Spring is here and it smells soo good out there in the garden. Wish I could bottle it, and then I could smell all winter, lol. Any volunteers for weeding? I can pay in plants......any takers????? Ahhhh, come on.....

Grandkids will be out of school for the summer on Wednesday, shucks, and I was having fun in the garden. Off to babysitting I go.....ok kid watching...lol. Gosh, is weeding that much fun????

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Beautiful pics everyone.
Pulling weeds is easy compared to setting on dgc's..... :)

I am so glad the plant sale is over. The sale went great and we sold pretty much out of everything.
I can now do the things I need to do...lol
Like start getting ready for the plant sale next year...rofl

I bought a couple of different plants at least different for me a jacobinia 'link's. It is shade/part shade and grows 4 to 6 feet....anyone know anything about it?

Well, it's the end of May and we are down over 5" of rain of what we usually get in May. I'm not liking this. We had a nice rainy April, but then it just STOPPED. I hope we don't have another summer like last year where everything burnt up! Please pray for us to get back up to where we need to be in rainfall! Got 1/10th of an inch yesterday afternoon. That didn't go very far!

Hosta swap is going on in the hosta forum if any one is interested.

I'm starting to look at replacing my houseplants and looking for Epiphyllum. I'm slowly remembering why I stuck with getting cuttings. The prices are awful.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261043/

New swap just opened, come and check it out! Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue!

Ang, I have a few different colors of epis I can share if you're interested. I know where to get 3" pots for super cheap!

I'll dmail you.

Anyone heard from Debra? Is she missing again....I am sending the basset out to look for her...rofl.

Wasn't she going to see her sister?

Yeah, but just for a week I thought?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.