First oriental

Louisville, KY

This is my first of the season . Seed grown

Thumbnail by timeinabottle
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Wow, that is impressive -- from seeds no less.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Timeinabottle that's a nice one. My first bloomed last week and then another bloom a couple days ago. Second pic is O/P sharing the stage on the first bloom on Iris Immortality.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Louisville, KY

Mike that is a beautiful bloom. Your O/P has a really nice color

I tried to eliminate my dark red ones with black centers but I keep getting volunteers. Guess I will let them go. They were taking over an entire bed and I wanted some variety. I would send them to others but I hear they don't transport very well. And I don't know that I haven't been successful in 'rooting' them all out. I doubt it.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Timeinabottle, that's a plant from seed that fell from the mother plant next to it. The mother was the first to bloom the last two years until now.
Oberon46, I believe the one that you made reference to might be Red Shades. It spreads fast. I got mine from High Country Gardens in New Mexico.

I believe I got mine locally or from Bluestone Perennials. I planted several in that spot and only a few survived. Wasn't sure which was which. I will have them again this year as I am going to get them grow. May have to move them as I planted a geranium, Splish Splash in that spot and it will get huge.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have such tightly planted OP's I need to deadhead so they dont spread. Once they put down roots it's impossible to dig them without creating more plants.

Yup. That's what I found. But at least the huge clump is now broken up.

Louisville, KY

Orientals as part of a group shot taken this morning'

Louisville, KY

orienta shasta

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

John, your garden is just stunning. Are those delphiniums and irises in the background with the poppies? Annette

Louisville, KY

Annette those are fox gloves from seeds . they are very easy from seed.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

W O W and those foxgloves.Joyful.

Louisville, KY

I hope you don't mind my sharing this.

Louisville, KY

Final picture.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its lovely

Great garden. I love to see other people's arrangements. I am still struggling with mine and it is so helpful to see what other people have done. I am too regimented in my planting and think gardens like yours are the very best. Thanks for sharing.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Love your photos and your gardens, John. Terrific. Reminds me of the Garden of Eden I've seen in art but yours is real!

John, what do you have planted amid your stepping stones? I have creeping wooly thyme but would like another stepible to try.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

My, oh my!!!! Just beautiful. I love the look of the combination of plants. It has a cottage garden feel. Annette

Louisville, KY

Mary;

I have a little stone crop between some of them and a baby veronica among others. Mainly its just the grass and clover. The stepping stones and garden edging is among things on my list but my tells me I can only do so much.

Annette The cottage garden effect is what I am looking for. What I hope to have follow is lillies , larkspur and dahlias. I had hoped to have hollyhocks , but the rabbits ate them all.

John

Ahhh., So they aren't something you can walk on and not hurt. My paths are edged in creeping phlox, low dianthus, several kinds of low thyme and sedum. Or and arbeita. All have flowers at different times. And when it is cool and wet I have a nice mossy stuff that grows with the walkable thyme.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Just wonderful John. Do you soak the foxglove seeds before planting ? I have some "The Governor" seeds that I saved from last season that I would like to plant and see what happen.

This message was edited May 1, 2012 4:16 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

John, did you get your "Shasta (super) Poppy" from Heronswood or Jung ?

Louisville, KY

I believe it was a collection of super poppies from Burpees. Tha t was 2 years ago.

John

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just planted a root of this yesterday.It will be blooming next year I guess.
Miss Piggy
I think its from Nature Hills

This message was edited May 2, 2012 4:38 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Louisville, KY

Joanne thats a beauty

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I probably wont see more than 1 bloom this year but I had to have it.

Gorgeous. I might have to rethink orientals.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Burpee and Heronswood are owned by the same company.
Ge1836, I love Miss Piggy along with the other frilly ones. My Turkenlouis O/P have quite a few buds on them. They were planted in the fall of 2010. can't wait for the first bloom. I also have another one that will bloom for the first time. The name is eluding me right now

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Heartbeat is the name of the other one. Got that one from Jung in the fall of 2010.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Looks like we have the same foxglove!

Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hazelcrest mike.I think Burpee acquired Herronswood just a couple of years ago.
I have poppies from them from 2008. Big orange ones.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

GE1836 you are correct.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

O/P Double Red Shades
Coral Reef
Great Red
Double Read Shades Clump

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Corel Reefs are great.

Looks a lot like Princess Victoria Louise

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Very pretty Mike. Love the orange.

Louisville, KY

Reallly really nice...I love Coral reef too,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.