Help me name my seedling!

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

So I'm thinking

Apricot Whip... But are apricots really that orange?
Orange Whip... But it has those lovely peach tones.
Peach Whip... It's too orange for that, or is it?

I like the "Whip" bit as it is SO full and well whipped looking :) But, I'm not set on it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Melissa

Thumbnail by tombaak Thumbnail by tombaak Thumbnail by tombaak Thumbnail by tombaak
High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

The whip bit is also ironic as this flower has been TORTURING me for days! It started to open on the 16th and only fully opened this afternoon.

I grabbed my camera and took a ton of pics figuring since it took FOREVER to open, it would wilt and die tomorrow. lol

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

It is very lovely! Did you decide?

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Thanks. I haven't named it yet, but it took over a week to fully open and then stayed open for 3 full days before shriveling up! So I am LOVING it!!!!

My "Exotic Pen Wheel" opened halfway and must have opened fully in the night because the next morning it was already closing :( So frustrating.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm still trying to come up with a name for this hibiscus. Just haven't yet hit on a name I reall like. :)

Wanaque, NJ(Zone 6b)

Melissa,

Knowing absolutely nothing about tropical Hibiscus, I have a few questions.

1. For a double flower such as yours, how many chambers are in a seed pod?
2. What is the typical time for a tropical to stay open and is 3 days unusual?
3. Were you able to pollinate the flower?

Typically the hardy Hibiscus have 5 chambers seed pods but the Annie J. Hemming with extra petals can have 6 chambered seed pods. No 7 chambers seed pods yet but I keep looking.

Mike

Wanaque, NJ(Zone 6b)

Melissa,

What about Frappe: “A frozen, fruit-flavored mixture that is similar to sherbet and served as a dessert or appetizer.”

Apricot Frappe
Orange Frappe
Peach Frappe

Or:

Tangerine Whip
Tangerine Frappe

Mike

This message was edited May 3, 2012 5:55 PM

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Hi Michael,

I don't know anything about exotic Hibiscus either. I'm a total Hib newbie.

I bought the plant from a hybridizer. Seedlings that show promise for color, shape whatever he "watches" for another year or two. If after that he decides not to keep them for breeding or cloning he sells the plant as an unnamed one off. I love orange so I bought the plant. Those pics were it's first bloom (for me).

Carole & Lavender,

The name thing is mostly for fun as I don't intend to propagate more. But, since it bloomed for SO LONG, I'm now thinking of naming it
"Eternal Glow" What do you think?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I think that's a winner, Melissa. ^_^ Or "Always Aglow".

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Thanks Carole :) I can't wait till the plant is bigger and I get several blooms at once!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Peach Schnapps......... :-)

Kyle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.