Dividing/moving Forget-me-nots

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I just saw a photo posted on pinterest of forget-me-nots planted in a mass grouping and mine really need to be divided..they have not all bloomed yet. I was thinking of moving them to the rock garden behind the sunroom. Wonder if they would continue to bloom if I moved them this week. We've had almost 1 1/2 in. so far over last 24 hrs. and it's till raining. We needed rain so bad.
Also had rain the night before but not a lot but it was a light, soaking rain.
I know the Spring and Fall is time to move/divide perennials. Some of the older forget-me-nots are showing signs of blooming. Would I be taking a risk of moving them this week to another location? They would get the morning sun in the Rock garden and some early afternoon sun.

I plan to move some columbines also that are being crowded out by other larger plants. They'll grow anywhere like the forget-me-nots.

May dig up a large Mum plant and replace it with the forget-me-nots and plant the mums on the side by hydrangea, or move a yellow yarrow and put the mum in place of the yarrow by the garage flowerbed.

Gosh, rainy days give me a lot of thinking time..gardening's all about trial and error.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I believe F-M-Ns are actually a self-seeding annual that acts like or seems like an annual. I know it needs light to germinate because I mulched over my "perennial" F-M-Ns one year and they all forgot to come back. Their seeds (if not interfered with by well-meaning tidy gardeners) have an extremely high germination rate so that it may SEEM like the same plant is in the same spot but in fact it's a daughter plant. No research, just my impression.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

The plants are already in the ground, and yes, they do reseed, so even if I moved them, I'd be willing to bet some more will show up in same area or nearby from self seeding.
Thanks for responding.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I've moved them in the past, no problem. And in my experience, once you have them you have them forever, which is a lovely thing. We put in a new section of stone patio last year, and I see that the FMN's have put themselves in all the cracks and are getting ready to pop. It will be gorgeous! And when they're done flowering and getting messy, I'll just pull them out wherever they bother me. I do the same thing with Dame Rocket, by the way, another favorite free spirit.

Pam

Warners, NY

I think there are both annual and perennial kinds. I planted some called Bluebird and they are blooming on the same old plants for three years and they also seed themselves. The old plants grow huge root systems in my clay and survive even when I have a hissy because the have invaded iris and aquilegia and throw them into the woods. There is a rotten stump surrounded by them where I was pegging them last year---it didn't even stop them. whatever kind I have it demands that I get brutal about thinning as they will form a dense groundcover that chokes other plants. I am not so fond of them as I once was when I got sentimental after seeing them in an old garden with self sown money plant, purple violas and peppermint stick tulips. Pictures like that turn ratty when the blooms fade and you have to try and figure out how to hide the mess. Since my wife likes them I am stuck with a huge clump by the back door where a chipmunk ate all my species tulips-----I may try shearing them down after they bloom as they seed themselves all over the place and I have difficulty forcing myself to harm any plant even when I know I have to thin them.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Weedy

Weedy, I had to chuckle reading about your exasperation. I think they must be perennials, as is the Dame, because the ones I leave alone definitely get bigger. And Dame Rocket becomes impossible to get out from between all the rocks in the patio and the falling down wall if I don't pull it right after bloom. But they both re-seed like Sweet Alyssum, an annual I treat similarly.

Pam

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Then I guess the ones we had weren't the perennial kind.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from Pfg :
We put in a new section of stone patio last year, and I see that the FMN's have put themselves in all the cracks and are getting ready to pop. It will be gorgeous!

Please post a picture or two when the FMN come up in your patio!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, it sounds wonderful.

Maybe by this weekend.. I hope!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from carrielamont :
I believe F-M-Ns are actually a self-seeding annual that acts like or seems like an annual. No research, just my impression.

They certainly do self-seed a lot but I'm not aware of any Mertensia sp. that are commonly grown that are annuals. Safe to say they are short-lived in your conditions, though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.