Looking for ways to plant Clematis

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have several new ones and my fences are already just about full of other vining plants and the like. ^_^ I have been told that Clems can be planted to grow on the ground, up into and through shrubs, up trees, and so forth. Besides the obvious trellises, I am looking for some ways to integrate these new plants into my already existing landscape. Any suggestions and ideas appreciated.

I did see the thread about clematis in shrubs. Very helpful.

Are they successful on the ground?

Do they do well planted by trees and, if so, how do you plant them in that location? I have lots of old tree roots and weedy grasses.

Thank you.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Many are useful as ground covers. Carolyn has some so I'm sure she can guide you.

I have some growing on a tree (now a stump, thank to hurricane Irene last August), pictured below, and they do very well but it's digging the hole that may be a problem. First dig, to make sure you have the width and depth you'll need, then plan.

Are you planning to remove the weedy grasses? They would happily invade any newly established area that has compost, bone meal and manure for the clematises.

Thumbnail by pirl
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for asking this question...I have been wondering the same thing! ( I think I may be at risk of becoming a clematis addict.)

I was under the impression that clematis needs full sun, but apparently some don't?

Many don't. Many can take partial sun.

Scroll more than halfway down on this link and they have a list for clematis for shade:
http://www.clematisinternational.com/growing.html#pg5

"Shade" means different things to different people. None will grow well or perform their best with just two or three hours of sun.

Thanks for the thread...what a great resource!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, would I love to be able to do away with the weedy grasses. In this case, mostly Bermuda. But, alas, it seeds, it runs above ground with stolons and runners and it runs below ground with stolons and runners. Plus it adores our long, warm, sunny summers. And the neighbors never edge their side of the fence line so over it comes. The only thing we can do here is try to shade it out. Thick cardboard placed around plants with wood mulch or chips or something on top or gardens built up lasagna-style are the best ways to go about it.

On my way home from the store, I remembered a shot I'd taken while touring someone's yard and gardens. I'd love to do something like this for one of the vines. (Looks like honeysuckle on that bike.) I don't have an old bike, but there are always yard sales. ^_^

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Your problem grass will invade the clematis area so until you find a solution I only see certain death for the clematis. Is the ground flat enough that you could put down some cement pavers on top of several layers of cardboard? You could then grow the clematis in a pot, on top of the pavers and find a bike. Ready, set, grow!

Have you seen the tree growing around a bicycle?
http://www.neatorama.com/2007/05/25/a-bicycle-eaten-by-a-tree/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the warning, Pirl. Bermuda grass is ubiquitous here in the South. It's our opportunistic grass of choice. :( From what you are saying, I may be best served buying some large planters such as the half-barrels and growing the Clems in those. I have a large deck trellis for that lovable garden thug, Sweet Autumn Clematis. The others I have to plant are Dr. Ruppel, Midnight Showers, (something) Elizabeth (white), and I think Tie Dye, although there that one sits with not so much as a shoot growing. So I'm not sure if it's even alive.

That's a great link. No, I had not seen that before even though I lived in the Seattle area for several years.

The half barrels just may be the perfect answer for you.

My Josephine is in the same condition as your Tie Dye. I bought another one two years ago and I'm hoping it will bloom this year. It is growing very well.

Good luck!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks ... and thanks for putting me on the track of planting the Clems in containers. I didn't realize grass would be such a threat to them.

"something Elizabeth" is actually Duchess of Edinburgh I noticed when I was outside just now. I wasn't even close. :-D

Athens, PA

Koshki - Welcome to the ranks of clematis addicition... There are so many gorgeous forms and colors to choose from.

Carole - How are you? Integrifolias are the clematis that sprawl and I truly love them. I like the way they look when sprawling through my garden. They also look wonderful growing through shrubs or tied to a trellis. They are so versatile and I think they have a longer blooming period than the other clematis.

You can see Hakuree in the lower right part of the picture sprawling through the garden floor. Brushwood has a wonderful selection of integrifolias. I have 2 more on order to arrive with 2 Betty Corning climbers to plant in my half barrels. I think the integrifolias will look nice sprawling over the top of the whiskey barrel while BC climbs the latticing behind the barrels.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

You can grow integrifolias and the twining clematis through bushes, shrubs and the like. I think it extends the life/color of the shrub.

The first photo is of Durandii - originally it was planted in a Flowering almond and the flowering almond died, so DH pulled the flowering almond which is now coming back, but Durandii is sprawling on the garden floor.

The second photo is of Roguuchi twining through a peony.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22 Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Integrifolias also grow nicely through obelisks. I have Hendryetta and at the end of last year, also moved Carmencita to my obelisk.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Roguuchi is another intrigfolia and one of my favorites. He blooms all Summer and I love the bell shaped flowers and the beautiful blue color.... I tie him to my fencing.

The first picture was taken on July 4th and the second picture was taken on August 13th. Roguuchi is still going strong. I believe he starts in June.

Athens, PA

I am wondering with the Bermuda grass if it would work to take a shovel and cut into the ground several inches with the shovel to sever the roots. Would this help to keep the grass in bounds?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Carolyn -- love seeing your photos. ♥ I do like those Clems that sprawl on the ground. I am thinking I can plant them in some areas where there isn't much grass and see what happens.

Is it true the Clems like their roots shaded? If so, a cardboard layer around the plants would be helpful to block the Bermuda. Unfortunately, severing the roots is a very short-term solution. This stuff is nasty ... especially once it's as well established as it is in just about every yard here. I should go out and take a picture of it growing out of the asphalt driveway. Loves heat. :-/

Funny, I was just looking at the Brushwood site this morning. Can't remember why ... oh, yes, they carry the yellow Lady Banks Rose. I may order some of the integrifolias from them. Meanwhile, the varieties I listed ... better in containers than trying to get to sprawl? I can always get obelisks or trellises to go in the barrels or pots.

Thanks.

Athens, PA

Carole

Yes, they do like to have their roots shaded and on the moist side. I think the cardboard is a good idea if you can't keep the grass out of the garden any other way. Too bad they cannot take the staying power gene in the Bermuda grass and breed it into other things! ^_^

I have them sprawling and will be planting them in containers. I have also seen where the integriflolias are planted at the edge of a short wall and allowed to cascasde over. I am hoping to have this same type of effect in my whiskey barrels.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

koshki, come back and talk with us. I didn't mean to get so wrapped up in my own questions that I neglected any others. Plenty of room for questions and discussion from everyone here. :)

I save all my heavy cardboard for just such projects, raised beds, lasagna beds, etc. Someone even suggested putting the 2 cu.ft bags of a good humus compost on the ground, slitting the bag and poking drainage holes in the bottom, and planting directly into the bag. Mulching over the top, if necessary, as I think that could get rather warm inside. Have you ever heard of doing this with Clems ... or anything?

Well now, I have a wall and I might just be able to plant some Clems on the high side either in a half barrel or in the ground and let them spill down the wall on the carport side. They would be shaded from the hottest afternoon sun by the roof of the carport.

How much clay soil can they take?

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Me too, Carolyn. I just ordered a couple, hope it works. I also loved the pic with peonies. I've been wondering what to do there. We have them all over the place, with varying success of companion plantings. I was running out of ideas.

Pam

Btw, Brushwood is out of Rogoochi at the moment.

Thumbnail by Pfg
Athens, PA

Don't know about clay soil, but when you plant them, be sure to use plenty of bone meal for good root development.

Koshki - definitely, don't go away. What were you going to plant in the shade? Some clems really need the shade or their colors will fade. I really like the white or lighter colored clems in the shade as they tend to draw the eye in that direction.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree ... white in the shade can be stunning.

Athens, PA

Pam

It is too bad they are out. Brushwood has a wonderful notification system when they restock specific types of plants. I would highly recommend Rugoochi, for the length of bloom time alone.

It was funny how things worked out - DH and I put in peonies years ago when DH"s grandmother was moved to a nursing home. That was long before we had the fence. The fence then went in and then various other plants. Somethings just work out well. I love the clematis with the peonies - the peonies don't last nearly long enough in my mind, but then you have the leaves all summer. They make a wonderful shrub for the clems to weave through.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Lovely photos, everyone.

I am blessed to have a lot of the Martha Stewart type of chocolate cake mix for soil. It's divine so I have no experience growing clem's in clay, sorry.

White or light colored clem's in the shade is terrific.

Thumbnail by pirl
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for all the useful information, everyone. I think I'm now headed in the right direction ... which I don't think I was beforehand.

Pirl, you are indeed fortunate to have that "chocolate cake mix soil". :)

Good growing.

I didn't go away...after I was totally distracted by reading the Clematis International website I ran out to my local nursery. I was just out buying plants for my garden! LOL, I have ZERO impulse control when it comes to plants. That is why I had 2 orchids in 2009 and over 250 now!

I am in love with the Roguuchi!

I bought three plants from Brushwood last year, and unfortunately, I think two of them should have spent a year in a pot. The Kasugai is growing like mad on a 3' obelisk near my roses. But the Allanah (next to big rose next to my house) is struggling, as is the Firefly that I've got next to my bird house.

I ordered a jackmanii Superba from White Flower Farm to go on the other side of the birdhouse, because I didn't really care that much for the one bloom the Firefly I got last year. I also ordered an Omoshiro from Stargazer Perennials that I think I'll put next to my sunroom. Depending on how big they are when they arrive, I will definitely consider a "growth year".

So far I have stayed with type 3s mostly to keep the pruning easy to remember (well, except for the Omoshiro, it's just too pretty to resist!).

Oh, and I bought a Sapphire Indigo on sale last summer...it has stayed in its original pot, and I think I might keep it in a container. I just have to find one big enough for it. I'm also confused about pruning it...

Katherine

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

ROTFL ... should have known. Well, you know what they say about striking while the iron is hot. Besides, I think you are in good company here. :)

Mine will stay in pots for awhile longer as well and go into the planters later on. I am so impatient. :-o)

Katherine - check out the self-watering pots (cheap) at Walmart and buy a few in different sizes but avoid the tiny one for clem's. Make sure you plant deeply so the clem can send up many new shoots and be sure to mulch very well.

As for Alannah and Firefly - are you positive that they are planted deeply? If not you can dig them up, make a larger hole (adding manure, compost and bone meal along with reconstituted water crystals) and replant, adding a lot of mulch. I know I'm a broken record about the mulch but it's worth it if I can get people to use a few inches around each and every clematis.

Going from 2 orchids to 250 does make you a devout lover of orchids!!!!!

Omoshiro is always worth buying. My original is in half sun as is the second one I bought. The third is in full sun so we'll see how it performs this year.

Words of wisdom from Hummingbird Farms in Maine: No one has ever killed a clematis by making a pruning mistake! http://hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis_pruning.htm

Hummingbird Farm clematises (hide that credit card!): http://hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis.htm#top

Hummingbird Farm transplanting mature clematises: http://hummingbirdfarm.net/transplanting_clematis.htm

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl, I garden from a wheelchair, so I would have to convince DH, that reluctant gardener who occasionally assists me, to dig them up and try again! I am pretty sure that the one by the big rose is not planted well. Maybe I could put it in a pot and set it in place.

I'm planning on putting the Omoshiro in a container in a spot that will get morning sun, generally until about 1 pm...do you think that will be enough?

I will hold my transplanting questions until after reading your link, but I am having trouble connecting.

Oh my. DH is not going to like that!

Cut off the rim of a large nursery pot, have DH bury half of it in the earth around the clem not planted deeply enough, fill the rim with compost, aged manure and top it with mulch. Then have him give it a gallon of lukewarm water with a tablespoon of Epsom Salt in it. I bet you'll get lots of new growth.

Omoshiro probably will enjoy that spot!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Clever!

It was ClematisGuru's idea, not mine. I only get credit for remembering it.

pirl, I'm having trouble visualizing your advice. I read elsewhere about cutting out the BOTTOM of a pot to add depth for the clem, but I don't get why you suggest cutting off the rim.

I'm sure I'm going to say DUH when you answer.

You'd be using just the upper 10" of the nursery pot to create a dam to hold the manure and compost in place. Bury 5" and leave 5" exposed. Add mulch.

I hope that's clearer than before. Sorry if I confused you.

Oh, duh! Cut off the top AND USE THAT!!!

I knew there was something I was missing!

As long as you understand it now, that's all that really matters. The very first time I read about it I, too, had questions in my mind.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.