persimmon tree troubles!! HELP

Thomson, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a few persimmon tree's around the property.One is a young tree under a larger tree but as far as i can tell only the young tree is having problems.The leaves are covered with "bumps" the easiest way is to just post the pictures i have no idea what it is.It was on the tree last year as well i was told.We are working with a new piece of property.

This is the only tree i have found that looks like this.I put my hoya's out a few weeks ago and not thinking about how close they are to this tree i hope i didn't make a huge mistake.I have began to notice tiny black dots on my Hoya compact & compacta variegate (both my hindu rope plants),lipstick plant.

The pictures are top of leaves 1st. pic then under side next,the last 2 are of the top sides.

Thank you so much for any help or advice anyone is nice enough to share.I'm a little new at plants & trees outside.

have a nice weekend Jo

Thumbnail by jojoe70 Thumbnail by jojoe70 Thumbnail by jojoe70 Thumbnail by jojoe70
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

Those are a gall of some kind. I bet there are eggs or insects inside those bumps.

Thomson, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm not familiar with the term gall. Any advice on what to do about it?when you push or touch on the lumps they are very hard,i haven't seen any insects and there are two young persimmon trees close to each other and they both have it.I am really hoping it isn't any type of fungus that could migrate to some Hoya's i have hanging near by.

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

I can tell you that galls are abnormal plant growth usually from bugs or other pathogens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gall

I don't know specifically whats wrong with your tree or how to treat it unfortunately. Do you have a local reputable nursery you could take a sample to?
Or county extension service? http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/mcduffie/

Metairie, LA

I've got the same problem with my persimmon. Just wondering if you ever found out what it was and how to solve it. Thanks

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

Usually nothing can be done, the damage is done. It normally won't hurt the tree. But I agree with checking your local nursery.

Mad

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

When an insect or other thing enters the leaf they can add some plant growth substances so the plant grows 'funny'.
This is usually to produce more food for the insect (like Oak galls) or to protect the insect, like the galls you are seeing here. It is harder for the predator to find a meal when that meal is hidden in a pocket in the leaf like that.

Certain species of wasp or fly are often the cause, laying eggs just under the surface.

I would remove the heaviest infestations, if you want. You might be removing some of the next generation. This is optional. If the tree needs pruning anyway, then you might start with these heaviest infested parts.
Other than that, I would fertilize and deep soak the tree to make sure it is as healthy as possible.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.