Star fruit/carambola

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

My star fruit tree seems to have froze this summer. It was only about 3 ft tall. I had wrapped it in 2 layers of frost cloth, but it died in out light freeze anyway.

Now it is resprouting from the root stock. By the leaves, I can tell it is some type of starfruit rootstock.

How different are starfruit varieties in taste? Do you think the rootstock will make a star fruit that is at least tasty? I'm sure once this regrowth gets bigger I can always try to find graft wood, but it looks like this variety is more hardy than the previous graft, So I'd like to give it a chance. Is there a "more hardy" variety of starfruit out there?

Joycelyn
zone 9a SW of Houston, TX

Monroe, LA

Wish you had some answers Diamond, I am thinking of attempting to grow this. Of course, I would have to pot it. (north La). I have read on here the different varieties have different taste.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

I was told by locals that a "true seed" carambola (starfruit) has no flavor.

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from cyberageous :
I was told by locals that a "true seed" carambola (starfruit) has no flavor.

VERY sour , like VERY sour ! if that's a flavor ? My grafted tree is not holding fruit : ( It's in a pot in zone 9a about to put it in the ground and see what happens this winter.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

"Very Sour" sounds awful!

Monroe, LA

I have been told it is similiar to chewing on an oxalis leaf. Oxalic acid has an unique taste. Someone tell me if this is incorrect.

(oxalis has a "4 leaf clover" appearance any is "everywhere") - "creeping ladies sorrell"

noonamah, Australia

The root stock plant is probably no more hardy than the graft. What would have protected it was being under ground and insulated from the worst of the cold. I've had seed Carambola and it wasn't "very" sour. It was more of a bland taste. So that characteristic could vary between the different varieties regardless of being from seed or not.

Greenback, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from lablarry :
I have been told it is similiar to chewing on an oxalis leaf. Oxalic acid has an unique taste. Someone tell me if this is incorrect.

(oxalis has a "4 leaf clover" appearance any is "everywhere") - "creeping ladies sorrell"

lablarry they are just like that and that taste to me is very sour and almost like poison . The grafted trees produce a sweet fruit when ripe. But in zone ten you will have so much fruit that you could feed the 3rd world.
UGG anyone tasted the wine made from this fruit ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.