First peony to bloom

Sumter, SC

Even with the mild winter, my peonies are growing well.

Bowl of Beauty Peony

Thumbnail by donnacreation Thumbnail by donnacreation
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Drooling all over the keyboard here, it is just beautiful!

Sumter, SC

It is a showoff, lol. Bib alert! Will post more pics when other cultivars bloom.-)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh my! That is gorgeous! Definitely want to see more!

Sumter, SC

Do you know if Lowes in Summerville is marketing peonies? I think they would well in your area. Hard to believe such a gorgeous, delicate flower is cold hardy to zone 2a!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've tried peonys from time to time and they all just wither away because of the heat.

Sumter, SC

Well you have your beautiful gingers to look forward to. With your 2012 zone 9a winter, they should be especially vigorous this season. Looking forward to pics.

Sumter, SC

Disappointed to report that none of my other peonies bloomed. A few had buds, but they turned black and never opened. Hoping the mild winter was the culprit. Will be moving many next fall, and positioning them higher so they are exposed to winter cold.

On the other hand, my shrimp plants are blooming like crazy and my acanthus is blooming for the first time since I planted it 5 yrs ago.

Persian shield also survived last winter.

Thumbnail by donnacreation Thumbnail by donnacreation Thumbnail by donnacreation
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Beautiful! I love the doubles, drool.
I was worried about the heat zapping my peonies too, so I planted them in a mostly shaded area under a tree and they're really thriving and blooming well in their third year.
My neighbor has her peonies in full scorching roadside sun and they aren't as bushy or flowery despite the fact that they are older than mine.

Thumbnail by mrstedger Thumbnail by mrstedger
Sumter, SC

Yours are beautiful, too. I planted some in shade about 5 yrs ago, but they never bloomed for me. 2 yrs ago I noticed my sister in law had a single petal peony growing happily in full blazing sun. The bush was quite large and loaded with blooms - I was amazed.

I plant everything in containers to protect from voles, and I know some were planted too deeply. I'm hoping that, combined w/such a mild winter, prevented my others from blooming.

Lowe's marketed them heavily here last year and this year, and I now have 5 or 6 different varieties. I also noticed this year that neither Lowes nor HD are marketing phoenix palms. Good thing, since they are absolutely not cold hardy in my zone 8a.

Thanks for the feedback!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.