Can you put a name to this canna?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm wondering if anyone can put a name to this canna…I've had it for many years, but am curious as to the variety. Any opinions are much appreciated. :-)

Thumbnail by tlm1
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I can't tell how dark the spots are, but it could be Picasso.

MerryMary, Thank you, I think you may have led me to it! The red doesn't seem to be as bright, but this Canna is not growing in the full sun that I think it would enjoy. I'm sure that could be why the red is not as bright….Looks like I may have some digging and moving to do! :-)) Thanks so much!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I do not believe it's 'Picasso' I believe it;s one of the lighter spotted varieties or a seedling.
Can you get a better photo with a more mature bloom?
Thanks!

I'll see what I can do…That one is the first of this season….This plant has been in this spot for about 4 or 5 years now. It's not a real tall variety. No more than about 3' tall that I've seen so far. I'll see what I can do for more pics of older blooms.

Always trust Abutilon! Much more of an authority than me! :)

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Short, eh .. I'll bet it's 'Tropical Yellow'. Now that I look again, I believe so.

Mary, it's just the spots and flower shape are different on 'Picasso' I don't see that even in this early photo.

Although after the original 'Picasso' became diseased, other spotted ones circulated in it's place ); But none can match the beauty of the original 'Picasso'. So, you just may be an authority if that is what you have seen as 'Picasso' ;)

Thanks for the advice MerryMary! It's always nice to meet the GO-TO person! LOL! I'm definitely not an authority either! :-)))

Nice to meet you both!

I took these pics this AM…Hope that they are a bit better of more mature flowers. Been about 6 days since the first shots. Thanks for looking. :-)

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Tim. It's most likely that. Especially since a short type.
Attached is a is a photo of mine to compare.

Thumbnail by Abutilon

Yes...looks like a more appropriate match!

Thank you so much….I believe you are spot on! This canna is in a spot that receives early morning, and then late afternoon sun. My guess is that this probably is not enough? It would do better, and the coloring of the "speckles" may be more pronounced if I move it to full sun? Your expert advice is greatly appreciated, as I am fairly new to growing Canna. Thanks again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.