Green palmatum that weeps?

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

Is there a palmatum, hopefully one whose lobes are not too deeply divided, that weeps?
I could swear I ran across one this past week while browsing vendors but now cannot find it for the life of me.
If not truly weeping, at least easily trained to a very wide, multi-layered canopy?
I am Zone 6b, and the site I have in mind receives sun from 9am until about 11am, then a bit of dappled light the rest of the day.
There is ample space for a tall tree but my vision is something I can keep under six feet or so.

Failing that, what might be a good weeping dissectum with not too finely divided leaves?
I'd like a good bright green but don't much care what color it opens or closes the season with.

Note: Davidsan, the Golden Full Moon you cautioned me against buying in '10 is doing well!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Ryusen is a new weeping palmatum below is the picture of the leaves on mine.

Thumbnail by wha
Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

That's a really weepy cultivar!!
Wonder if staked and trained carefully it would eventually hold its own as far as horizontal growth?
Because all of the pics I am seeing on an image search are decidedly vertical unless it is left as a ground cover.
I see Davidsan sells them on Pine Bark Maple rootstock with a trunk, too...

I'm not 100% certain that is what I am looking for but it sure looks like something fun to play with- thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

mine is about 3.5' tall and very full horizontally, will attempt to stake to get it taller - branches are really tender so staking will be to new growth only for more vertical height - horizontally it will grow wide and spread as ground cover on its own. leaf shape is very interesting

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

Sorry to be unclear, I meant "hold its own as far as horizontal growth" as in horizontal growth in the air-- branches.

I have another shrub that I had to stake and train every branch like a bonsai until it was around four years old and now it holds that shape on its own.
Just wondering if anyone had ever tried this approach with a Ryusen.

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

OK- how about 'Jiro Shidare'?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Ryusen was going to be my suggestion too. But since that's been mentioned, how about Germaine's Gyration? I don't have one myself, but it seems to be well-liked.

I have a Waterfall and an Emerald Lace and both are nice weeping trees but the leaves might be too dissected for you in this case.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, and you might want to check out 'Ground Cover' too. I don't know if you can call its shape "weeping" though. It's more like the name implies.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have a Germaine's Gyration that I like very well. It does weep and the leaves are really pretty. Mine is about 5 feet tall and will probably stay that way although it has grown like gangbusters horizontally. I think that it will eventually be a pretty big tree so I'd give it lots of room.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i believe cearbhall was looking for a non-dissectum weeper. still nice tree choices

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

Haha- found it!
It is Davidsans listing for 'Jiro Shidare'-
"One of the two true weeping uprights along with Omureyama..."

So I'm looking at either of those two.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi, I have both Jiro Shidare and Omureyama. Omureyama does much better for me, Beautiful weeping tree. I will send pic if you are interested.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i would be interested in seeing them marymyers - how old is the Omureyama? I have one here that is about 6 years in the ground and is now about 7' tall - i trim it every year as the weeping can look a bit messy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.