planting morning glories with clematis

Shirley, IN

I have some morning glories can they be planted on the same trellis along with clematices ? what are good companion plants for clematis?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I haven't done it, tried it or thought of it but maybe someone else has and they can report on how it worked.

For me the best companion for clematises would be more clematises yet once the bloom is over I can see where the Sweet Peas would continue the show but then comes the problem of pruning the class 2 clematises while the Sweet Pea continues to bloom. Please let us know how it works out for you and please post photos. Thanks.

My husband is the seed grower and we do have two Sweet Pea cultivars growing so maybe I'll give it a try.

(Zone 7a)

I have grown MGs with Clematis and was not happy with the results. The MG overwhelmed the Clem and it took about 1 1/2 hours to clear the dead vines away from the Clem without damaging it. Not to mention all the dropped seeds.

Thanks for the heads up, Celia! It just saved me many hours of needless work!

(Zone 7a)

Glad I could help. I will still have all those little seedlings to contend with but it's a small price for a lesson learned. LOL! I really would like to see my Henryi this year. It only had 2 malformed flowers last year.

We still get volunteers from the morning glory we ripped out many years ago. I've heard the seeds remain viable for 80 years.

Was Henryi the one strangled by the sweet peas? Last year was the worst I've ever experienced with clematis - highly disappointing. I hope your Henryi gives you a great show this year. This photo was taken years ago.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 7a)

Yes, Henryi is in front where I had 4-5 Milky Way MGs. Henryi is under there somewhere. The Clem was deformed. I don't blame the MG. None of Clems did well last year.

Thumbnail by kwanjin Thumbnail by kwanjin

Wow! That's quite an impressive MG!

Shirley, IN

very beautiful vine! just courious are sweet peas annuals ? and what do you use to fertilize your clematis .

Marshalltown, IA(Zone 5a)

I planted a morning glory last year beside our chain link fence.....and our fence is over 120' long.....I spent the summer hacking the darn thing back....and yet each day it would grow at least 2', I swear..( it did bloom it's head off though).

Then in the fall after a freeze, I spent an entire day pulling the dead thing off the fence......Never again.

I would think the delicate clematis would drown in all the m.g. foilage............so, I never have tried it....

This message was edited May 2, 2012 3:59 PM

That's the kind of work I detest. You're out there for hours and nothing gets planted, only a fence gets cleaned. So annoying. We have Kwanjin/Celia to thank for not making that mistake. Thank you, Celia.

(Zone 7a)

No problem. LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.