Swapping & Chatting Ric & Holly's Swap II

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The first thread was getting very long so just keep on chatting and swapping here.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm here!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Me, too

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I didn't get lost, for a change!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great, I just started some Five Leaf Akebias. I think they should take pretty easily. As the vines that were laying on the ground had already tried to root.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm always lost...kinda used to it - truth be known...LOL

Jan23 - may I ask for one of your lilacs please and thank you?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Absolutely, Chantell!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you Jan. Folks - I've updated my have list - slightly

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Jan- I am pretty sure I have all your wants from me still available. GLad to find homes!
One Oakleaf Hyd from you would please me no end !!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Holly, that's a pretty vine! Is it hardy, or would it have to spend the winter in my sunroom? Either way, I'd love to try it. Thanks!

Crozet, VA

WOW!!!! I didn't expect all the swapping going on while I was away for just one day. How fun...and yes, we are like kids in a candy store. This is so much fun, and the actual day of the swap just as much fun....and the chatting afterwards is always a hoot too. That is why I love you folks so much.

I made note of all requests and will list them later on my next visit here. I really appreciate folks asking for things, because it really does my heart good to first of all thin the gardens out and secondly knowing they will go to places where they will be kindly cared for.

Just a little hallelujah dance today. It is actually a very gray and very damp day here in the mountains of Virginia. I hope that others reading are able to say the same thing. Not sure of extended forecast, but a couple more days of this, would be great for anything growing.

Gita, thanks for sharing the pics of past swaps. I can't remember anyone taking photos as Harts Swap, so there may not be any available. That was everyone's first swap I believe, so at that point we might have all thought it may not be picture worthy. Of course, we were wrong and seeing the photos after the swaps are half the fun.

Anyway....enjoyed hearing from everyone today. Looks like everyone is excited about this upcoming event. Again, I will list the requests here later when I have more time and am not so rushed. In the mean time, I still have plenty of most of the offerings, so don't be shy folks.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Would anyone remember the actual date of hart's Swap? Was it in 2008?

I have looked at all "potential" dates--and i do not seem to have any pictures--yet I am almost sure i took some.
May have been with my 35mm Camera......

Driving me crazy!!! Gita

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita,

If your photos are displayed in thumbnails on the PC, put the mouse cursor over a photo and you will see "Date Picture Taken" -- that will tell you the date of Hart's swap. If that doesn't, left-click on the thrumbmail or the name of the file. You will see "Properties" at the bottom of the drop-down menu. Select Properties. Then you will see the date under "Created".

Hope this works.

Donner

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

donner!

I don't seem to have any pictures from hart's Swap. I also do not have my camera set
to record the date any picture was taken. Not sure my cheap camera even has that option.
That's the problem....

I sent you a D-Mail the other day re the Craft Show. Did you see it????
G.

edited to check the date thing. Went to some of my pictures from last week.
Went to properties, etc...says the picture was created Jan 2005.
SO! This method won't work.......

This message was edited Apr 18, 2012 11:05 AM

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita,

If the photo properties showed the wrong date, that means the camera date wasn't set correctly. You need to set the camera date even if you do not want the date displayed on the photos. Otherwise, your photos will be time-stamped with wrong dates.

Donner

Gita maybe the date on your camera is way off LOL

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Here is one link with pictures from swap at Hart's - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/732598/?hl=Swap

Link to last swapping and chatting' thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246743/#new

I think I have all my Promises noted, feel free to holler if I missed something

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, It is a hardy vine, not sure how well behaved they are I must look them up and see what it says. It sure is pretty. Would you like me to set one aside for you? I went down to the creek and dug up a few VA Blue Bells this morning.
Gita, I think Harts swap was in June of 2007.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes - 2007 because Chloe was only a month or 2 old

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks like the five leaf akebia could be pretty invasive glad I planted it away from the flower beds. I do have some pretty invasive plants so what is one more for me. Others might want to beware of it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I saw that when I looked up the Akebia in PF... I'd rather pass on it, Holly, thanks... I'm still trying to get rid of my Sweet Autumn clematis! (If anybody really wants one of those, I've got at least one more good-size volunteer to dig up... but it is really, truly a thug.)

Hey, Holly, what's that big vine you have that gets covered with orange trumpet flowers? I think that's what is in this pot left from the fall swap, and if that's what it is then I don't think I have a good spot for it, so it's up for grabs. :-)

Plants are liking this drizzly cooler day... I am not! LOL

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, I was assured that there would be enough Hakones for both of us. ;-)

I have a bunch of flat leaf parsley seedlings. I had planned on planting a lot of parsley to attract beneficial insects, but now I don't have room for all these wintersown seedlings! Does anyone want any extra parsley for the caterpillars?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

AHHHHH---A trip down Memory lane!!!! I mean looking at all the pictures of the Swap at hart's....

NOW--someone PLEASE tell me how I could bookmark the link to Hart's Swap so I can look at it
again and again and remember so many of the people we no longer see.....

Donner--I have to, seriously, take a look at he guts of this cheap camera.....
Scared of what I may find........you know--"guts".......?????

It really has very few settings-----but I have not, seriously, looked fir them.

Thanks, Gita

Gita, bring your camera to swap and let someone show you some basics.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

If I cannot figure it out--I am sure someone will. it is the only digital camera I use.

I keep saying i will buy a new one--like a Nikon or a Cannon. I have the $$$ just need to
go to the right place to have someone suggest a reasonably priced one that is not
too confusing to use.....

I HATE! HATE! reading manuals!!!! That is why I do not know the mechanics of a lot of things....

Thanks for the offer, Sally. i KNOW i will be bringing it! it is the only on I use.....

Gita

I only use the most basic variations on mine and that gets me 98% of the pictures I want.
; ^)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Critter, It is probably Trumpet Vine and you want to be careful where you plant that.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally, can I have some Purple ninebark cuttings please if there is still any available? Love the foliage! Thanks.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK! One Trumpet Vine up for grabs... :-) It's a very sturdy baby, as it survived the winter just fine in a 6 inch pot... looks ready to grow grow grow!

SSG, I could certainly find something else for my mom if your landscape needed the one I glommed onto... I hope you knew I wasn't serious about wrestling you for it!

Gita or anybody else who might be contemplating a new compact digital camera... Best Buy (online at bestbuy.com) has what looks like an incredibly good deal at present on a Nikon Coolpix S4100... seems to only be available in red, but the price is $86 with free shipping. The model that's replacing it is priced at $180 and doesn't look all that different in terms of features. For almost all picture taking, you'd probably just set it on "auto" mode and let it do its thing with scene selection, focus, etc. It has 14 Megapixels of resolution (so you could crop and "blow up" a pretty small area of the image if you wanted a closer look at something... or you could print out huge poster size prints with great clarity), and a 5xoptical zoom (to let you get a better look at that bird up the tree or that interesting flower at the top of the exhibit).Features like digital image stabilization (to compensate for shaky hands, or wind-trembled leaves) help with clearer pictures... you can even set it up to wait for somebody to smile before taking` the photo

donnerville- yes; you'll get the ones i already have started (two small chunks in a pot) ; I can take more fresh cuttings if asked.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Nope, critter and SS, I've got you covered. Heehee. I just love the grass. A couple of years ago, I bit the bullet when I bought it. But, it does brighten things. That's my justification anyway for the expense of it and now I can start to share it. Nothing better than that.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--

Thank you so much for the camera info. I printed it out....

Knowing myself--I will not, likely, go traipsing around to Camera Shops.
I may walk into a WW one day and just buy one.

I have a best Buy 5 min. from my house. Will stop in today and see
if they might have it in the store as well...OR--Is it ONLY on-line???

Thanks--Gita

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Sally.

Crozet, VA

Becky, thank you so much for posting the link to the pictures from Hart's swap. How cool to think back on that day. It was a true turning point in my life for sure. Before then I had been involved in a live chat group on yahoo and had grown discontent with each and every morning being greeted with a George W. Bush bashing by another chatter. I had threatened several times to disappear from the group, even though there were lots of folks there that I had met and developed friendships with and knew I would miss chatting with them daily. After being a member of Dave's for a while and then attending the swap and meeting such a great group of folks, I officially went missing in action on the live chat site. I am still in touch with a friend who lives on Cape Cod Massachusetts, who we visit from time to time, but all the others I have lost touch with over the years. I haven't really missed it much and hear the dynamics of the once much loved room have changed for the worse, so I am not missing anything.

I have been truly happy with using my computer hours to chat on Dave's. With this being a bit more regional than the live chat room was, there is more opportunity for live interaction. Anyway......thanks for the memories Bec.

Okay, after such a surprise yesterday when opening this thread and seeing loads of requests for plants, I am ready to list them here from the notes I took yesterday. Same message as Sally gave.....if I somehow missed noting a request, just holler and I will sign you right up. I may not get around to posting the requests to my official list quite yet, but it will be done as soon as I have the time to do it.

Here goes.......

Jill wants my White Scabiosa
Kubileya wants Lily of the Valley
Chantell also wants Lily of the Valley
Gita wants yellowish colored Creeping Jenny
Coleup wants Prickly Pear
Jan wants Rose Campion
Catbird wants some cool Coleus

Coleup, I have some interesting sorts of Coleus but don't have names for them. I am certainly willing to bring you some and you can research the names if you would like to. Let me know. In fact, let me take a picture in a bit of the two that I have over wintered and have growing gang busters at the moment. Will post as soon as possible and you can let me know if I should put your name on a pot of them.

All others....thanks so much for writing. What a joy and excitement builder to come here and get the warm fuzzies about this much anticipated event. I feel as though I am a member of one of the very best clubs ever organized....The Mid Atlantic Gardeners of Dave's Garden. Can't think of a better place to spend my time.

Later folks.

Ruby

Crozet, VA

Alrighty - I tried with getting a picture of the Coleus, though the maroonish colored one can't be appreciated with this particular picture.

Donnerville, I sent John out to take a picture of some of his pots of Iris last week and this is the picture of one of the areas in the yard where he has pots. This is in addition to several other spots around the property where he has them sitting.

The picture of some of our Azaleas is added........just cause.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw Thumbnail by rubyw Thumbnail by rubyw Thumbnail by rubyw
Crozet, VA

DUH!!! Will try later to get another better shot of the maroon Coleus. I might have a pot of it separately that will show it better. Later folks.

Ruby

Crozet, VA

Oh God......me again. Sorry folks. I cannot recall the thread where there was yet another discussion on inexpensive decorative pots, so felt I would post a picture here for folks to see one of my buys when I finally went pot shopping on Monday. These are not pots per se, but are something I can use in selling at the Farmers Market. I am hoping to ask anyone who may be shopping at Big Lots between now and the day of the May 19th swap, to be on the look out for these items and if they find them and will trust me for reimbursement either through mail now or pay back the day of the swap, I am hoping to get some extras of these.

I plan to use these bottle filled with water to sell rootings of Pothos and Arrowhead Plants. A while back when shopping at Michael's I found a couple yellow bottles similiar to these and set one of them in the Pharmacy window with an Arrowhead Plant and it sold quickly. I am hoping there will be a market for these.

If anyone is willing to pick up a few of these for me and be reimbursed, they are sold in a box package of four bottles in each box and they cost eight dollars a box. I didn't think of showing a picture until I had unpackaged them. The were found in the store I shopped on the outer edges of the gardening section along with some nautical types of decorations. I would certainly appreciate folks thinking of me if their pocketbooks can help out for a bit. Thanks in advance if this isn't asking too much. Please do not make special trips for these, but if you happen to be in Big Lots already, I would appreciate any and all that I can gather up.

These bottles stand about seven inches tall. If by chance if anyone on any shopping trips find something similar and about the same size, please also purchase those too but please don't spend over two dollars a bottle. The yellow ones at Michael's were a dollar and that is what I prefer to pay, but will go as high as two dollars if need be.

Again.......thank everyone for keeping me in mind. I no longer am the shopper I once was and most of you folks live closer to a lot more stores than I have access to. If anyone does indeed find something and want to be involved in the hunt, please let me know so that I can keep somewhat of a running total so I don't end up with too many to carry home the day of the swap.

As always......you guys are the very best.

Ruby

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby, can you post a photo of the pots/bottles for us to see?

This message was edited Apr 19, 2012 11:36 AM

I have a big lots and michaels very near me.

Ruby can I also have yellowish creeping jenny please

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.