patient orchidiers, another ID please.

Arlington, MA(Zone 6a)

i tried to find the id myself, but i don't know what the orchid ID sites are even talking about, so i turn to you all for yet another id.

the above potting media level plant height is about 8-9". the blossoms are very fragrant.

thanks so much,
donna

Thumbnail by 6aseeder Thumbnail by 6aseeder Thumbnail by 6aseeder
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

It's a Dendrobium. Looks similar to Aussi Chips. Laurel has that, so she could probably tell you, for sure.

Arlington, MA(Zone 6a)

hmmm, the leaves/stems & flowers don't look quite like photos of aussie's chip that i found online.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I agree with you, they're not a perfect match, but possibly close parent lines. Keep in mind that some are variable, especially if seedlings. I have seen several orchids I thought I wanted, then found many of that name that were ugly, in my mind, when I looked it up on line. Appearently, the grower will register a cross, and sell all the seedlings under the name they gave it, even though all the seedlings aren't the same.That's why I prefer to buy at shows, where I can see what I'm buying. In any event, you have a dendrobium, looks like a compact form. Maybe laurel will chime in on possibilities.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Dendrobium kingianum most likely.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I'll buy that. I misjudged the size of the plant.

This would be a likely bloom time for MA too. Not only is there variation in species coloration but there are a number of hybrids. BTW, Aussie's Chip only puts out one or two flowers per spike and they are pendant.

Arlington, MA(Zone 6a)

so definitely Dendrobium, then. this is a friends that i want to get a start of. is the following link a good site for "how-to" divide?

http://www.ehow.com/info_8026050_dendrobium-orchid-propagation-techniques.html

thanks for weighing in.

Yes, and that's a Den. kingianum in the photo. Follow the division instructions, not the one for cuttings. Take three or more leads if your friend is willing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.