Should I divide my new daylilies?

Versailles, KY

I have just ordered several clumps of daylilies from the clump sale in the classified ads. My question is this: Most of the clumps I ordered are 4 or 5 fans. Should I divide them to have more daylilies to plant around the yard or should I leave them together to be sure they take off good? I am getting a variety of colors so I see several possibilities.

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

Should not make any difference if they have good roots. Often a clump will come apart without cutting it - easy decision.

Waddy, KY

I personally would let them go the first year as a clump just so they get going good. You can always split the clump next year with a shovel if you want to divide. It's your choice though. I sell plants and if I get 4-5 fans I'll divide into 2 plants just because I'll have one to sell later while the other one's increasing undisturbed. Leaving it as a clump will give you a greater show faster.

Janet

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I have read some people will plant the fans close enough to each other to look like a clump, but separated enough that it will be easier to divide in a few year. That way you will not have to dig up the whole thing.

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

DitchLily206 - I have done that - sounds good to me.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Laura, that is what I do. I don't line my sale plants out. I like the look of a clump best.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You can really get more in a space if you don't line them out, lol. I only have about 6 plants totatl that are lined out. The rest are in clumps.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Quote from DitchLily206 :
I have read some people will plant the fans close enough to each other to look like a clump, but separated enough that it will be easier to divide in a few year. That way you will not have to dig up the whole thing.

This is what I do because sometimes new plants are more susceptible to rot. If you divide them some, one rots, the others are not affected as they are not right together.

Versailles, KY

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. I think I will try what most of you said. That is, I will either leave them in the clump if they arrive altogether. Or I will plant them close together if the clump has come apart. I believe I got the jest of what all of you were saying. Thanks for the help!!

Lake Stevens, WA

Plantman101, you will love her plants!

Lake Stevens, WA

This is what I did with mine from Floweringchild last year when she had the sale.
She sends the best plants. If your looking for daylilies order from her. Some even bloomed last year!!
I ordered a bunch this year too!

Thumbnail by springcolor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.