My visit to Belle's Garden

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I sure did enjoy my visit to Belle's,such a beautiful garden and so many Hosta's. Belle has around 500 Hosta's!

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Everywhere you look there is something new, great eye candy!

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I have never saw such a beautiful yard, trees, vines, bonsai, fish pond. Just fabulous.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Belle and her husband have created a real paradise right in their back yard.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

She is such a great inspiration, got some good ideas from her and really enjoyed myself. Thanks Belle!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Could not resist more hosta's. :)

Virginia Beach, VA

I had a nice time meeting with Susan Aka- Virginiarose. Planned to have lunch but I gave her plants so she had to go home and said she has tons to do.Unlike me she is not retired yet.

The first picture is one of the unfinished beds. Behind it is going to be the pond # 2 with streams all around the tree and the deepest part is 4 foot and I am not sure if i am going to put kois there since it has to be netted like the big pond.

Going back to the bed I will be adding Xenadu philidondron and perhaps some red ground sedum. It will be pretty when everything is done.
Bellie

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2012/04/16/virginiarose/d3ed3e_tn.jpg

I am not sure if the picture got pasted. perhaps Susan can help me. Thanks

Virginia Beach, VA

Picture # 2

Back yard showing the will manicured zoysia grass. DH is fanatic about his lawn. I have plenty of room to extend my beds but it will be big trouble if i do it so i respect his wishes. LOL!!!

Way at the back is the whole width of the yard where a 5 tier stands for the hosta collection. i am in the process of repoting them and bought over 300 4 color pots from dollar store to save $$$. Some sections are alphabetalized.(Sp). I have maybe 2 more weeks to finish my projects since i collect sedums, alocasia/ colocasia, euphorbias,bananas,and kalanchoes. It is a sickness!! LOL!!! It is a passion too !!!!

I will come back after my golf game this AM.

Belle

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

This is the picture of the half finished pond, I tried not to zoom in on the construction zones. Belle sure has a lot going on, I can't wait to go back and see how things turn out. Hopefully I will have lunch next time and not get lost. :)
I love that Zoysia and am looking forward to getting my lawn fixed up. Great inspiration. I also want a pond now.

Thumbnail by virginiarose

WOW!!! I am inspired to get more hostas now..... Beautiful garden!! I love your layouts . Why do you have to net the pond?

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW...Thanks for sharing your gardens with us and Thanks to Virginiarose for posting her photos...labor of love for sure..

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Demstratt, it sure was. :)

Mud_elf, glad you are inspired also. She has large birds that try to go fishing in her pond.

Virginia Beach, VA

Today was a very exhausting day to say the least. I woke up early to pot 2 big plumerias, wrapped 2 packages for mailing and off for golf. I played with my husband today because my usual group buddies had things to do. Rushed for lunch and had golf lessons playing 3 holes.

Got home to pot 2 more plumeria and I just woke up from a nap still exhausted!!!!

Will get to the pictures tomorrow and Virginiarose knows how to post pictures. Need lessons from her!! LOL!!!

Good night and no golf tomorrow it is my volunteer day giving groceries to the poor.

Bellie

This message was edited Apr 18, 2012 5:15 AM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

bellie, what kind of birds were eating your fish?

Virginia Beach, VA

Picture # 3
This is one corner of the deck with part of the swing is showing. I just replaced the cover with the back also covered. I used a decent full mattress cover and anchored it with plastic cables. Per advise from DH I put air holes so when there is strong wind he said the swing will not be carried away!! Does it make sense??

I also put drapes on both sides so i can take a nap when the temperatures is bearable.

The new plant groupings is the project of DH, this year he had been helping a lot because he does not want me to spend too much. Last year I hired for few days but he notices it when the funds gets low!! LOL!!!

Bellie

Virginia Beach, VA

Picture # 4

This is a maybe 20 year old maple tree that was given by our 2 children on Mothers day when they were growing young. I bonsai them so it does not grow too tall. Also if you notice there are bonsais underneath and they are my projects.

I had another maple tree but it died last year. My husband think I watered it too much. It was another gift from the children.

Have a pleasant day and will get back with more pictures tonight.

Bellie

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Very nice! They all look so healthy. Do you fertilize them, Bellie and if so, what do you use?

Virginia Beach, VA

I fertilize them every spring with 101010. Do you believe in green thumb?? Well I have super green thumb. I also talk to them and they listen to classical music!! LOL!!!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Picture # 3
This is one corner of the deck with part of the swing is showing. I just replaced the cover with the back also covered. I used a decent full mattress cover and anchored it with plastic cables. Per advise from DH I put air holes so when there is strong wind he said the swing will not be carried away!! Does it make sense??

I also put drapes on both sides so i can take a nap when the temperatures is bearable.

The new plant groupings is the project of DH, this year he had been helping a lot because he does not want me to spend too much. Last year I hired for few days but he notices it when the funds gets low!! LOL!!!

Bellie

Here is a picture of the whole swing, Pergola, and Sun Room. :)

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Virginia Beach, VA

You are too much Susan!! LOL!!!

Virginia Beach, VA

Picture #5
Eventually this section will be yellows alphabetized. There are lots of fire island hostas. This pergola was intended for grapes but the birds got them before i could taste them so i got rid of the plant.this are the planters from the dollar store.

Bellie

Virginia Beach, VA

Noreaster,

Going back to my healthy looking plants. I combined 3 types soils this year from Walmart. I am using hyponex potting soil, earth gro garden soil and earhtgro humus and cow manure. I throw in a tablespoon full of 101010 and so far it is working. I used to use EXpert potting soil also from Walmart but it had gotten so expensive to repot all 500 +pots.

So far no problem with slugs. I find very few sometimes and gives them to the kois.

Had you posted your garden this year. How is Lady Isobel doing?

Bellie

This message was edited Apr 21, 2012 3:14 AM

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

How often do you repot?

I am also using potting soil from Walmart- the really cheap earthgro stuff. It's very coarse with a ton of bark. I add compost to that. I know the coarse mix is much better for overwintering in pots than anything with a lot of peat. I had planned to leave them in the pots and add Plant Tone to the tops this year. A few do need to be moved into bigger pots though.

Lady Isobel is doing fine so far- I never got that upper tier of the new bed officially planted so everything up there is still in pots. I have to finish the edge border and order some soil, which I will do soon. No pics posted yet- not much to see except some eyes at this point.

Virginia Beach, VA

Noreaster,

Good morning!! Been up since 4 AM and as soon as there is light outside I need to pot some more alocasia / coloscasias which i also collect and has maybe 30+ varieties.

I think the last time i repoted was 3 years ago and I have a lot to divide. I still have plenty in heavy duty black plastic pots and will r be replaced as soon as I can afford to buy the presentable ones.

My Lady Isobel need to be divided . I think I bought her over 20 years ago.

Have a good day. Golf at 9 AM for me.

Bellie

Virginia Beach, VA

Picture # 6

This is Pauls Glory and will go on the deck in partial shade. It will be more yellow by summer.

Picture # 7

This section is near my compost and is very shady. it is part of the alphabetized and if you notice the pots are green. At the top tier are the big leaf like S/S, captain Kirk, Pizzaz, Potomac Pride etc.

It is still dark outside!!!

Bellie

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Lovely pics. Thanks for sharing.

Virginia Beach, VA

Thank you Ann. How are yours coming along?

Bellie

This message was edited Apr 22, 2012 10:52 AM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Many of mine have broken ground. Too soon. We may have snow on Monday.

Ottawa, Canada

Bellieg ... Beautiful hostas and lovely Japanese Maple. Where do you get all that energy? Also, give my compliments to your DH on a gorgeous and meticulously edged lawn. I enjoyed the pictures, Susan.

Virginia Beach, VA

Susan,

Well thank you so much. Energy?? 3 cups of coffee with creme brulee cream LOL!! !It is 60-70 in here now and i wake up very early to do my gardening . Still a lot to do!!!

Bellie

This message was edited Apr 21, 2012 8:36 PM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

irawon, Thanks for the compliment. The above was probably meant for you, not Susan. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Faboooo pictures of gardens

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

She and her husband have worked very hard. It is a sight to see. :)

Virginia Beach, VA

We had done more since Susan's visit, hang a gutter to the the new structure. I do not know what it is called.
The alocasia colocasias as well as the bonsai are in there respective places.

Bellie

Virginia Beach, VA

Bumping for someone.

Bellie

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Which new structure? The pergola?

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

ohhh thanks bee looking for this one...Belle where is your othethread of your gardens???

Virginia Beach, VA

Susan,
The structure before the pergola is finished. DH hang the netting so the mosquitoes does not bother me when i take a nap. He put rople lighs and gutters.

The pond id not finished because his golf is priority.

Bellie

Virginia Beach, VA

Dems,

I have quite a few threads for my garden, search for them under bellieg.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

That is very sweet! I know he loves his Golf. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.