my Hibiscus died

Searcy, AR(Zone 7b)

I moved my hibiscus outside after it got warmer and it started budding out some green buds and now it is dead. What did I do wrong?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are you sure it's dead? If you didn't adjust it gradually to the outdoor temperatures and light levels then that could have stressed it and made it drop leaves/buds, but unless you had some nights below freezing it shouldn't have killed it.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I agree with ecrane3. It is probably just shocked. New leaves may form where old ones were. Or it may send up all new shoots from the roots. Hibs are generally pretty tough, so give it some time to recover from the move.

Cuyahoga Heights, OH(Zone 5a)

I moved in with my mother this past winter, until our new house was finished and my husbands friend said 'I will take care of your plants so you don't have to run the UV lights in the basement until the house is ready', long story short, I am down 8 tropical hibiscus and one that he sent back had no leaves, was completely dry and the woody stems were withered. I gave it a strong dose of SuperThrive that I found at Walmart, mixed it with Hibiscus fertilizer, and put it in a sunny window, within a week it bounced back with two leaves and a BUNCH of green buds for new leaves. Just give it some TLC, and try the super thrive. I know a lot of people don't like it but after this experience I will swear by it!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hibs are tough, tough, tough ... so don't give up on it just yet, regina.

I use Super Thrive as well. Good stuff, IMHO. And a little goes a long way. :)

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Did your hibiscus come back to life?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.