New Bees Chat - Friends old and new, come on in 4-15-2012

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Here is a new thread!

This is the place to chat and hang out and share with friends - new and old...

Any links you want to add to this let us know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233053/#top

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160896/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Many of you know that I garden for wildlife. This week a Red Spotted Purple emerged from its chrysalis. My neighbor's 8 yr old had never held a butterfly, so I placed the gorgeous creature on her hand. It was kind enough to wait to fly away until after I rushed in and out for the camera.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the new thread Amanda! Happy Monday all!

It's been kinda quite around here.

Al

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Good Morning you all.
Happiness is a trailer of hay.....yum...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Agreed about the hay!

Hard to find it sold by the bale in the "city" for my goat friend the next block over....

This isn't a good bale either. But was best I can get til they start baling. but The longears are nibbling and are not sick so if they are happy, I know I am.
Love goats but Hubby won't let me have any more critters. I am just so blessed to have these longears...

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

We all LOVE your longears!

And we love you all....
I don't know what he was looking at but I love the curve of Charley's neck..
Then this morning , I got this one of Jake...
last one, The girls are munchin'

Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Happiness is a new bale of hay! I just love it! Wouldn't it be nice if life was really that simple?

Al

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

You know many days my visit around the block to see the Boer goat is the highlight of my day. A new bale of hay, alfalfa pellets, a cup of corn kernels, some giant stalks of bamboo . . .. He makes me feel like I'm the only girl on the planet. Neither cats nor dogs nor boyfriend can do that for me on a day-to-day basis! :D

Love Charley and Jake and the girls. OH - I'd be such a space cadet if I lived on a farm. :D

xox
A.

Booneville, AR

thank you amanda new thread is nice. i need to go to bed. lots of things to do tomorrow.love and hugs to all nettie.

Amanda, does your goat boyfriend have the terrible stinch so many of the boer's do? I loved my little nanny goats when the kids were young. They smelled but not as much as ole Billy!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Nope - Billy does not smell like a goat. :D

Court just wondered aloud if it was a glandular thing you were talking about? I keep his area very clean and I brush him almost daily. His owner lady says he's probably about 7 years old. He looks very healthy to me though he gained weight in the winter I think he's looking well now. He's red, not white like most Boer goats I've seen/read about. I sure wish I could bring him here - she has offered him to me, but the garden . . ..

Have you guys seen anything like this?! Court is doing 360 deg. panoramic photos of the garden once a week with his i-phone. I can "photo-stitch" with my Canon camera. He's really enamored of his.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=2041ada8-4632-4c08-be2d-50339e1c859f&m=false&i=0:0:0&c=0:0:0&z=290.695860536977&d=-1.60224997962916:0.280741438549681:0.270329953560341&p=0:0&t=False

Anyway. It is cold and wet here. Will be tomorrow too, so I guess I'll be catching up on housework and reading DG threads. Goodnight.

A.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Howdy again, we're back. Many trips to the city to visit Becky, Jason and the Triplets. Landon and Sydney are doing great, now over 6 lbs each, and may be out of the hospital next week. Little Emerson is still having his share of problems, but gaining slowly. He's likely to have heart valve surgery this week, so things have been tense from the start. Sorry, we've been really busy with this.

Best wishes to all!

Al

My prayers will be with you all Al, and especially little Emerson.

Al, Prayers from me and Charley too!!!! Let us know how the baby does...
Hugs and nuzzles.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Sorry to bear bad news, but we lost little Emerson last night. He fought a valiant battle for six weeks, and just couldn't fight it anymore. He wasn't here long, but will be long remembered. We knew we were in trouble from the start, just couldn't imagine when.

Becky and Jason are doing better today, and Olivia got to bottle feed Landon (boy) and Sydney (girl). They are scheduled to come home early next week.

Al

Oh, Al, I am so sorry. Poor little boy, He is in Heaven now, Al. Bless your whole family...
Love ya, Al. Tell you family, I send them my love and prayers....
Charleen and Charley....Blessings and love....

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

My prayers are with you and yours... :/

A.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Sing Happy Birthday to Crit today! Have a great day!

Al

Happy Birthday♫♪ to Crit. ♪ ♫ Happy Birthday to you♪ and many more.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Wow - this chat line has been really quiet.

Okay, here's the latest.. Landon and Sydney are both out of the hospital and at home healthy and hungry as bears. Becky and Jason are doing fine, and two Grandmas about nuts over this. Needless to say, we've been kind of busy the last couple of weeks. Things are looking better. Sorry I haven't had a lot of time to compute, but I've been in on this too.

Gotta take lots of pictures, lots of pictures. That's where I come into this action, that's what Grandpas are supposed to do.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

So cute and handsome like their Grandpa.....
Charley sends them soft warm nuzzles of love.....I send the kisses and hugs.....

Oh Al, they are adorable! Glad everyone is doing well and you get to have the little buggers where you can spoil them! Grandpa's do more than just take pictures, I KNOW!

Booneville, AR

hi everyone just got this new puter up and going. rural electric killed the old one son has a friend in ft smith that is going to take my stuf off the old hard drive and put it on a thumg drive and then put it in the new puter ill get back later when i have more time and can handle this puter better.lo9ve and hugs nettie.

Nettie, so glad to hear from you....

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Ya'll. Good to see you back! We are traveling on a road trip along the Hudson River north of NY City, on our way back home tomarrow. Saw an antique plane museum and flying airshow at Rhinebeck yesterday, with lots of action going on.

The kids are doing fine and growing faster than the weeds in my garden! Both Landon and Sydney are happy and healthy, now topping 8 lbs and putting on some serious weight. They'll be in college before we know it.

Al

I know they are cute. Tell them Uncle Charley Mule sends them lots of love nuzzles...

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

We've been all over the Hudson Valley with our Lucky Charley pin, Charleen. We were going to take him for a bi-plane ride in Rhinebeck, but couldn't get reservations quick enough.

Al

There will be another time AL. I know Charley loves the trips...

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Have a great holiday everyone! Go to a parade, wave a flag, eat a picnic, enjoy family and friends, have a good time.

Al

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone, sorry its been so long since I dropped in.. Hope all is well with each of you. Al the babies are sooo sweet and sorry for your loss of Emerson. I know it was heartbreaking. I have been really busy already trying to keep everything watered.Its cloudy out this morning and i can hear the thunder so hoping our prayers for rain is answered..Its dryer than I've ever known it to be before...Hard to get everything watered when its 100 plus degrees outside, but so far things ae still thriving...Hope you all have a blessed day and I will try to make it back again soon...Trish

Heres a few flowers from my yard.

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000 Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000 Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000 Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000 Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi HB, glad to see you back!

We've got a new weed(?) I'm trying to identify, impressive yellow flowers on a 6' tall spike. Seems to fit right in with our "cottage" type theme, though.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Here's a side view.

Al

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 10:08 PM

Thumbnail by lycodad
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

We've been having fun with our new birdfeeder. Ellen found an old melamine bowl while cleaning out the pantry. I Gorrila glued it to a plastic pipe fitting and stake, drilling a couple of holes for drainage. We use stale bread, fruit slices, peanuts, whatever seems available. Works great!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

I don't know what type flower that is but its very charming with the pink cosmos and the bird house. I have orange cosmos but I would love to have some seeds from those pink ones. Want to trade colors? Al I love that bowl you made into a feeder. I have been thinking of doing that but was scared the bowl would crack when I drilled holes in it. Maybe I'll just make bird bath out of mine. Ok we finally got about half inch of rain last night so Im out to dig flowers for a trade. See ya later.

edited to correct spelling from autocorrect on phone lol.. Good thing I came here to read it before many more people did or you all would have thought I was drunk when I was typing it.. Im not very good at sending messages from my phone..

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 10:38 AM

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

This is my first year with cosmos, I grew the seeds in yogurt cups before planting them out. They are very easy to grow. Funny thing though, the package said they were yellow and orange, every one of them came up pink and purple. I'll probably have lots of seeds later in the Fall, the pods are easy to pick off. They claim it's a heavy reseeder, too.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Found and interesting article in the plantfile section. I didn't realize that Cosmos came in so many different types and colors!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1248/

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 4:10 PM

Thumbnail by lycodad
Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

My cosmos are orange with a few yellows in the mix... There really is a nice selection of cosmos out there I wonder if they are all as easy to grow as the ones I have now... These have been returning for several years, I just drop the seeds on the ground and usually have enough to share with friends the next spring when they start to grow again... There is always enough seeds to share they really are heavy seeders here.....

Those are really cute Al mine doesnt have the fern like foliage of those either, so if you end up with extra save a few for me plz..Your yard is looking lovely...

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000 Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000 Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000 Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000 Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Al - is it a common primrose? Sundrop?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1096/

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Amanda! Some have called it Evening Primrose because it seems to blossom at night and early morning. Most primroses I know of are low growing ground covers, this one is really tall 6-7' or so. I have no idea where it came from so I assumed it was just another weed. Kind of pretty though, fits in with the bird garden.

DG-ers to the rescue again, sure looks like it to me. Thanks all!

Al

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/82672

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.