Nursery Nasties?

Warrenton, VA

Hello, I recently returned to Virginia, after living for many years in the West. I am surprised to find that there is an Invasive Plants list, that is rather extensive, from the VA Dept. of Agriculture, yet even more surprised that most local Nurseries carry many plants that are on that VA Dept. of Agriculture list! I feel that I am fairly well informed, yet see that I cannot blindly trust what the higher-end Nurseries carry. I mean, I have yet another consideration to think about when looking at that fun, new plant! Do any of you experience this problem?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Many nurseries put most of their focus on things that are pretty/popular since that's what people want to buy, without caring whether they're appropriate for your climate, overly aggressive in the garden, invasive, etc. Unfortunately plants that are on a state's invasive list aren't necessarily illegal to sell (some are--but not very many plants are so noxious that it's actually illegal to sell them). Some nurseries are more responsible about the plants they sell than others, so it's worth shopping around to see if you can find those more trustworthy places and give them your business instead. Otherwise, make sure you do your homework before you buy anything.

Warrenton, VA

Hey ecrane3, yer preechin' to da choir...LOL! I am just VERY SURPRISED, is all, and wonder about less-informed purchasers...I've returned 3 shrubs now and destroyed the annual Perillas that simply FLUORISHED last year.. (planted before finding out about 'em).

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I believe it's a "buyer beware" situation. I have been burned a few times in my early gardening. Now, I check a plant out before I buy it. I also watch out for key words in catalog descriptions. If it grows in dry or wet, or shade or sun--it sets off a little alarm. If the plant can grow anywhere, I get a little worried.
I just visited my brother's garden, and he has about 5 different plants that are invasive. I sort of just cringed and thought how difficult it's going to be to get rid of them.

Warrenton, VA

Ah, birder17, I share your pain! Never knew there was such a (LONG) list of invasive plants, and my eyes are certainly opening up...! I am, like you, finding certain key words that set off "Fire Alarms" and clamp my wallet shut...like "adaptable" or "thrives in most conditions." Yep, "Buyer Beware" indeed! I think that there is too much that is available.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, Grayce, you know, there's a lot of very beautiful plants out there----more than I have room for in my garden! It's a shame those "other" plants are being sold.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.