Shrubs & perennials that do well with sprinklers?

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

I have a SE corner that gets hit by my neighbor's sprinkler. yay, free water! However, I have some plants that aren't doing well and I'm going to move them. But what should I replace them with? I know there's a difference with having wet soil and being able to put up with wet leaves.

I'm looking for a 4-6' shrub and perennials for sun. I'm thinking the shrub shouldn't have berries, because I currently have a snowberry whose berries turn black after a bit. I'm not 100% sure this is due to the sprinkler, but it makes sense.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

For plants you could put some Japanese Water Iris, they love water. Not to have soggy feet all the time but it requires consistently moist soil; do not let dry out between waterings.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Iridaceae/Iris/ensata/cultivar/0/

Thomaston, CT

Siberian iris would do well.....so would primroses.....not sure about shrubs.......

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

How often do they water? Is it causing standing water? or just constant moisture?

they run their sprinklers a few times a week, so constant moisture (we have sand based soil).

I'm more concerned about the leaves than the roots - it seems easy to find plants that'll do well with moist soil. But the leaves & flowers concern me.

Maybe I should just look for plants that are don't get powdery mildew?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah I would make sure they are not susceptible to powdery mildew or black spot

ooh, black spot. didn't think of that one. thanks!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

OK, I'm thinking...

Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light' (which likes moist according to a local nursery)
chelone
lobelia
creeping jenny

shrubs that will do well are either too big, susceptible to something, or sucker. Considering my house to the property line is about 10', I think the tall grass will be better than any shrub at this point.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.