Looking fo info on May Apples

Mohrsville, PA(Zone 6a)

Trying to find some info on these wild plants. The 'apple' is said to be edible when ripe, but how to tell when they are ripe? Curious about these as I have hundreds of them growing in my woods.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

yellow and soft

I think before that it can be toxic

Mohrsville, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I've read that the foliage is toxic, but the fruits are supposed to be okay.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Check again to be sure - i have heard fruit is toxic if no t fully matured. Are you planning preserves?

Mohrsville, PA(Zone 6a)

No real plans for the fruit yet. Just trying to learn more about them right now.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

You might start here: http://glge.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/mayapple/
You can google "mayapple recipes", and most books on wild foods give info.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

cooking the apples speed ripens em if you are into the jelly, but wait til ripe if eating fruits,

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I read the entire plant is poisionous (except ripe apples.) Be careful.

Mohrsville, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for all the replies.

Mohrsville, PA(Zone 6a)

Some of the Mayapples and Trout Lilies in my woods.

Thumbnail by samthehavanese Thumbnail by samthehavanese
Central, AL(Zone 8a)

In his book "Natures Garden--A Guide to identifying, harvesting and preparing Edible Wild Plants" Samuel Thayer states that all parts except the fruit are toxic. The unripe fruit is also considered toxic. "The ripe fruit turns to a light, dull yellow or brownish yellow. It has a delicious tropical scent..." "My favorite thing to do with mayapples is to tear a hole in the skin, suck out the pulp and enjoy its flavor as I spit out the seeds." He shows photographs of ripe and unripe fruit. Overall it is a great book that I have found very educational and recommend!

Mohrsville, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

All parts of the Mayapple are listed as toxic except the ripe fruit. The ripe fruit looks like a small, slightly wrinkled, lemon and is quite delicious, if you can find one that hasn't been eaten by the local wildlife. Unfortunately the fruits are normally devoured by deer before they fully ripen. But they are easy to grow if you have a shady spot. Mayapples burn in too much sun, making the leaves turn red, and stunting the plant.

Only the two leafed plants flower and produce fruit, a single flower is produced, slung low in the V between the two leaves, the single leaf plants are sterile.

Thumbnail by SteveOh Thumbnail by SteveOh
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Definitely easy to grow when they're happy!

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Mayapple colonies have spread in the last few years, as if unharvested in a lot areas, am seeing them in abundance in many states

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I saw some new variegated Mayapples for sale. But, not hardy where I am.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.