Spring clematis chat continues

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We can keep on talking about our clematis and showing photos.

Coming from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/clematis/all/

This is the largest clematis I've ever seen: Broughton Star in Wellfleet, Cape Cod, 2011.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

O M G How do they trim that one.

(Zone 7a)

It's huge!!! Wonder if it will take over the house one day and if it's fragrant.

I have no idea who trims it or how they do it. This June I'll check for the sign on the house. It may be a local government office or some other commercial business. My shock came from the fact I had just planted two Broughton Star clematises a few days before so I'll see how quickly it gets to that height.

I couldn't notice a fragrance.

It has taken over the entire staircase!

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone, I would like to start a chat for Clematis that have been great growers and robust for you. Please join in.
My example

John Warren I grow it in an West facing site, I bought it in a gallon can at Wall Mart and it has never skipped a beat! Everyone comments on the blue. Lee

Louisville, KY

Hello all.

Lee my all time best performer is HF Young. In my garden it gets full day sun. MY next is Claire De Lune which gets almost no sun. It is planted in a bed which is probagly 30 feet from the trunk of a 50 yr old silver maple. I do have a new seedling blooming , but haven"t had time to take a picture. Wheere does the time go?

John

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, I have to say my best growers are Duchess of Albany, Josephine, and m. Maylene. Miguel Viso and Pink Champage are growing vigorously this year as well.

Lee, I'm glad to hear John Warren is a good grower, it's one of the new ones that I got from Brushwood.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi!!! I'm here to, got sooo much to learn yet....

My best so far is 'Prince Charles' which is being grown next to Gypsophila paniculata, which is 48". Was going to move my clems into the flower border, but...I'm thinking I like this combination. The origional plant was stripped of leaves for the first two nodes and planted at that new depth. The first year or so it was not mulched, but I know better , I just never got around to it...(naughty). The hole was dug 6" deeper than stated on the tag ( 2 1/2" pot), in the bottom of the hole I mixed aged manure and s. peatmoss. In the backfill, additional peat and manure. Now, I'm thinking I'll keep him, and I'll remember not to put my new Diana anywhere next to him, lol.
Pix 1: Shows the backside of P. C. (forefront is 'Jackmanii supurba') , but more to give you an idea how large the planting of gypsophila is, talk about shaded roots!
Pix 2: Shows the path side of the two.
Pix 3: Closeup
Kathy. (pix are from last summer)

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 1:13 AM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Soo Charming Warrior. Beautiful with the babys breath.

Louisville, KY

About Claire de Lune. It is in filtered shade...not deep shade.

John

Louisville, KY

This is another of my seedlings. very small bloom. Pirl you asked about how I grew them. I just gathered the seeds in the fall detailed them and put them in a quart pot with some potting mix then put them in my little box out side. I was walking past the box one day and there the seedlings were.

Thumbnail by timeinabottle

John - what does "detailed them" mean? Did you cover the seeds with soil? How much?

That's a beauty!

Louisville, KY

Arlene the seeds have a little feathery attachment which I believe is used to catch the wind and disburse the seeds. I took that off of them. I covered the seeds to about the depth of the seed. Hope this helps.

John

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ah, De-tail, de-bud, I get it. ^_^

My best of the year? Nelly Moser. She's still going strong while most other early blooming ones already are spent. This one receives alot of sunlight in the day and out performed those in the shade.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Thank you, John. Maybe I'll try it this year.

Lovely Nelly Moser, Kim. I do love that one.

Noticed buds on so many clem's today. Henryi must have 100 of them.

Good article on pruning clematis today: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2833/

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Can't wait to see those flowers, Pirl! That is a good article, very clear and well written.I wonder why she recommends throwing the cut vine away and not into the compost pile?
Lily, your belle looks great..do you think it is something else?
John, one more question...do you keep the container covered?

Anna - My only guess, about throwing the cut vines away, is to avoid contaminating compost with any possible fungus. Same story with any diseased parts of any plants.

Belle of Woking does change color from that pale silvery mauve to white as it ages.

Good question for John!

Thumbnail by pirl
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

So pretty!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Huldine and Princess Diana

Thumbnail by bananna18 Thumbnail by bananna18

So nice!

Louisville, KY

banna I didn"t cover them.

John

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

banana...Love that Princess Diana, I got one last fall and nice to see what it looks like. My vines are only out of the ground a few inches so far and a new coating of snow overnight.

You're a devoted and diehard gardener, Kathy.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Patience is a virtue! You will be showing your clemmies when mine will be in survival mode through the hot summer

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I took a short trip to the Atlantic, when I came back my Sister Theresa Astilbes are blooming . My 2 clem Ruutel are still in full bloom, they are my favorite. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Great pix everyone. Bana, the last pix I had of B.o.W. was that of my neighbors'. Arlene has answered many questions we had regarding the flowers characteristics in that it does change from mauve to pure while with age. How neat! Thanks Arlene. I like the Princess Diana clem. I've a seedling that is purple, I'll find time to add on later this evening. Have a blessed day in the garden everyone.

This double clem. is 'Multi-blue' I think. I have many chores to catch up out in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

It's easy to see why you love Sister Theresa, Etelka. You're making me look forward to Ruutel even more than I was when I bought it. Mine is in only morning sun so we'll find out how well it does.

Kim - yes, that is Multi Blue. It's one of my oldest clem's and goes beautifully with BofW.

Thumbnail by pirl
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I think I may need that Belle of Woking too, it's lovely!

Crystal Fountain opening up.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
(Zone 7a)

I can't wait for my Clems to bloom. I may have to wait awhile for a couple that were planted last year...Belle of Woking and Avante-Garde. Henryi, Dr. Ruppel and Blue Light have been here a few years.

Nice Crystal Fountain, Sue. Ours should be opening soon and with this heat many will be blooming.

It's great just watching them form buds and then watching the buds enlarge each day.

Belle goes to single form after the doubles are done. I think the single form is prettier than the double.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, such beauty there Arlene! Though, I've to say it isn't quite the "single" form. Maybe be a better description is "semi-double" or "semi-single". Another word "half and half"? Beautiful though. A single mauve bloom is this one that I've. And I've lost the tag!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh, wait, wait. On a closer look. Mine is also a half and half type of bloom! Hmmm!!!

Sorry, Kim. I can't guess at it other than the usual suspect like HF Young.

Half and half just might describe the less than double BoW perfectly.

Might be!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm with you Arlene. It's difficult to positively I.D. a NOID clem. online. Speaking of NOID (No I.D.) I've these clem. that popped up in the garden years past. And when it was a couple years old, it begun to put out these cute little flowers for me. These are still in buds. I'll post pictures in the future when it open up.

One of the characteristic of this clem. is that it dies down to the ground each winter. Then rejuvenates itself every early spring, and blooms soon there after.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A close up view of the little darling clematis that grows "wild" in my garden. I have two different of these NOID offsprings in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

How sweet! My Duchess of Albany dies to the ground each year so I'm used to it happening. She must be the easiest one ever to layer with tremendous success.

We'll all await close up photos of your gem.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Pirl, you where right when you said that the clems will find a place on top to bloom, even that the trellis is short. This one of my Youns, ready to pop again. Thanks. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

HF Young looks so good against the white fence!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.