clipped off leaves

Brainerd, MN

I have some Iris in a bed that were planted by the previous homeowner that I always enjoy seeing each spring, although I admit I do nothing to take care of them. This year while prepping the beds to install weed control sheeting I accidentally clipped the leaves of several of them that were about 14 inches tall. I clipped them clear off at about 2 inches above the ground. I'm wondering if there's still a chance these beauties will grow and bloom this year.

South Hamilton, MA

It is early & they might grow. However if you didn't cut any stalks, the chances of seeing flowers improves'

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

If you still have the leaves you can look and see if you cut off the flower stalk, or feel if there is a thick round stalk in the leaves. If they are already gone look at the plant and see if there is a round stalk. Now, here in my z5 or6 zone, it's still early yet, the only iris I have that have any stalks down in the leaves are my dwarfs which will be blooming next month. The tall bearded are still a few months away, so the stalks have not begun to push up yet. Aren't you close to being a z4?
And how's the fishing there, still good? I've been to Brainerd when I was a kid on vacation, saw paul and big blue, lol. Gosh that was a long time ago. And I remember skitter's the size of a small house. lol.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Brainerd, MN

I'm surprised you say bearded are a few months away, I would swear they have always bloomed in May in the past. I "may" have only trimmed off the leaves (not the stalk) I'll check in the AM. Thanks!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I have a couple of TB blooming now and several others have bloom stalks up with buds. We have had an unusually early warm spell in March but the temps are near normal now for this time of year. Lots of blooms early but didn't stay long with those 80 degree temps!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Only my dwarf iris begin in May, most of my tall beardeds bloom in June here, might have something to do with altitude also (6800ft). Our normal last avg. frost date is May 12th ish. Yup, we also had some warmth, now they are saying a rain/snow mix this weekend. I want it and then again I don't. I guess I would rather have my plants bloom at their normal time. Besides, I need to get weeding done before things REALLY begin to grow. lol.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.