Spring (and beyond) Natives for 2012

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Thought I'd start a new thread on natives for spring (and into summer?) Show yours off! Here in the Chicago area, we had a couple of strange weeks of 70's and 80's back in March and that brought a lot of vegetation up a bit early. Here are pics of woodland phlox and woodland poppy with jack in the pulpit. Happy spring!

Thumbnail by sherriseden Thumbnail by sherriseden
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Penstemon canescens, eastern gray beardtongue. Makes a fine garden plant though I never see it offered.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Viola pedata var. bicolor and Hexastylis virginica

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

If a put dogtooth violet will at get complained at?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

juhur7 - Your photo is of a Shooting Star, either Dodecatheon meadia or D. amethystinum.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

OK, OK, and thank you for clarifying that, I knew something was 'off' when I typed that in last night.

Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

These have been in full bloom since August here in Charleston, SC! Isn't Blanket Flower a native--Gailliardia aristosa?

Thumbnail by JaneJabbour
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yep - blanket flower is a native wildflower and has many common names. I have one I grew from seed (they start and self-sow easily) G. aristata and one I purchased which has a very low growth habit (and I prefer!).

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Since this species - Husband compliantis - has been around since way before the Europeans brought their exotics to our shores, I thought I'd post this pic. Here is hubby digging planting holes, under my supervision, for three natives - Chionanthus virginicum, Cornus alternifolia, and Prunus americana - last Saturday. Bless him, he's a native of my heart for 32 years!

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

That's sweet. Thanks for the smile Sherri. :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

lupinus (lupine) going wild

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Sherri, I hope your husband compliantis knows that the fringe tree will have outgrown that space by your 64th anniversary. Earler this year, I bought a much smaller one than yours (which the deer halved in height within days); My husband dormiendus roused himself long enough to make it a hogwire barricade. I'm just hoping to live long enough to see the little tree attain mature height and breadth!

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi, Carol! Well, I was told it grows really, really slowly, so if we reach our 64th (that would be something, seeing as we'd be in our 80s and 90s!!) and it's taken down the fence and everything around it, we'd . . . well, I guess in our addled state, we'd just smile! : )

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Baptisia australius "Purple Smoke". It is thought that this is a natural cross between B. australius and B. alba found in large planting of Baptisia species. It has the dark stems of B. alba and a "grayed" violet colored flower. Love it!

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I grow a number of native Penstemons that are incredibly carefree and vigorous. I don't understand why they are not more widely used in gardens. Below are:
P. calycosus
P. pallidus
P. canescens

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

They're really pretty, too! Well, just be glad that they're not commonplace!

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

We have a few common areas in our neighborhood where I get to see some natives. Here's what I think is hieracium pilosella aka mouse-ear. You can see in the one photo that it covers a very large area. It is pretty that way, but when you get close up you can see it is barely covering the ground which is practically all sand.

Thumbnail by evie_beevie Thumbnail by evie_beevie
Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

And here is the honesuckle bush native to Vermont. It grows along the woodland edge.

Thumbnail by evie_beevie
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, Evie!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I found some Helenium autumnale at a horse farm I was visiting yesterday and pulled up some small plants by the roots - tubers!

Am I going to be sorry? It is in cultivation now and some lovely variations, but these little yellow flowers could be very cheery! Plant can become extremely large - suppose it could be pruned.

Natives blooming now - gaillardias, various agastache, coreopsis, blue mistflower, stokes aster, fleabane, helenium, rudbeckia(s), aster pilosus, showy primrose, oakleaf hydrangea, impatiens/balsam, tradescantia, mountain mint, cardinal flower getting ready to pop, Geranium maculatum 'Samboor,' a couple of salvias . . ..I am enjoying the chaos in the garden!!!

A.,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.