What, no garlic mustard????

Pittsburgh, PA

I just voted for the invasives photo contest.
I cannot believe nobody submitted garlic mustard!
I've got plenty - I wish I'd known.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Me too! And if anyone knows of of a way to eradicate it short of cementing it under, please share.

Pittsburgh, PA

I acrually met a botany PhD candidate who gave a talk about it!
What you want to do is pull it - it has very shallow roots.
And you want to put it in a plastic bag nd send it to the landfill.
It has chemicals in it that kill beneficial fungi in the soil, making life difficult for many other plants and consequently butterflies.
And it is biennial, so you can easily get it in the first year, before it sets seed.
The seeds can stay in the soil for years before germinating, so start NOW, with any that are starting to flower!

What I do is snip the roots off the plant after I pull it and give the rest to a friend who makes a mean pesto with it! Got the recipe from the aforementioned PhD candidate.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Actually, it's our backyard neighbor who allows garlic mustard to flourish on his side of the fence...along with a wide variety of dandelions, wild honeysuckle, wild grape, and undesirable saplings covered with poison ivy, just to mention a few. They all seem to make their way through the fence, and it's a constant battle to keep his jungle from invading our space. I've gone through many gallons of brush killer (on HIS side) in an effort to keep up. It used to be a beautiful area when the previous owners took care of their yard. This guy couldn't care less.

Pittsburgh, PA

Or he might be unable, mentally, to deal with it.
I have a neighbor whose honeysuckle, grapes, and rose of sharon all end up over here.
The year I was having back problems and didn't get out there often enough, the grapes took over my birdfeeders....

Just pull the garlic mustard when it's small. remember to landfill it. That's the best way to deal with THAT one.
if you send me your email address, I'll send you a cookbook! Garlic mustard is more nutritious than kale.

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

I was thinking the same after looking at the photos. NO GARLIC MUSTARD you have to be kidding me. It truly is my nemesis here in the garden/flower beds/wildflower beds. Well everywhere….you get the picture. I wish something ate it as far as livestock went. After pulling this stuff all day…. I could be dipped in chocolate and I still would not be able to eat it. I have never hated a plant so much in my entire life.

Pittsburgh, PA

I hated it pretty bad myself, before I learned how nutritious it was. Now I just try to keep it from reseeding and chow down.

Williamsburg, OH(Zone 6a)

Here in Ohio it's on the Top 10 invasive species list and I couldn't believe it there was on ad on Craigslist today offering free garlic mustard for it's culinary and medicinal value. What's next free dandelions????

Pittsburgh, PA

It's self defeating to pull it and leave it on the ground because there it will still release its toxicity to beneficial fungi. You can't put it in the compost for the same reason. You have to pull it. And you can either bag it and send it to the landfill or you can EAT IT. It really is very nutritious to humans. It's good, too. FREE food is always welcome here!

And I'd accept some free dandelions, too! I have a house rabbit and they are excellent for her. I pick a bouquet for her every morning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.