Preen weed preventers and tropical plants (canna & bananas)

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I picked up some preen yesterday with plans of using it around my bananas and cannas along a fence line that always gets overrun with weeds. Anyone have experience with this? It says it is okay to use around my hibiscus ... Doesn't mention the others.

Thanks in advance.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

A few layers of newspaper and a couple of inches of mulch will be more economical and will work better in the long run. Preen has to be continuously applied to be effective at all. It works by preventing weed seeds from germinating so it should not present a problem to non edible plants BUT if you are going to use chemicals, always strictly follow the label directions.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I thought about using Preen in one of my gardens and asked around. People who used it correctly said it works well.
I have decided that instead of using Preen, I'm just going to cram the garden full of plants so there isn't any room for weeds!
Barb

Sumter, SC

That's my strategy, too, Barb. I found that it creates a smorgasbord for ground voles, so I now bury everything in containers. And by by mid July's heat and humidity, I can live with a lot of weeds.-)

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

So glad I don't have any problems with voles or moles!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.