Football Mum care

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I bought a giant football mum for St Patricks day last month. At first it had a light green hue but once outside for a few days the flower got large and became white. I reported it as it became root bound and it's doing great. The same flower is still blooming and has been pollinated a few times, I see new buds near the base of the plant so I'm hoping they'll be new flowers by Summer.

Few questions:

Each year we buy mums in fall and put them in large pots, they do fine up until frost. We store them in a garage until spring, but they never come back. Being this mum will be established by winter, will it come back?

The white petals are now getting splashes of purple coloring, is my flower changing color or dying?

Also, how do I save seeds from this gorgeous flower?

Can anyone help I spent a good amount of money on this plant and I want to make sure it lives.

Dolan Springs, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sorry I can't be of any help, I'm a mum beginner too.
When you say a plant is rootbound, that means that it has become too large for its pot, and the roots are all growing around inside the pot, needing more space. I thing you meant that the roots of your mum had become established? That will save a lot of confusion in later posts! :>)
Your flowers don't need to be pollinated to be flowers.....if you want a plant to bear fruit or vegetables, then those flowers need to be pollinated, sometimes.
Hope someone with mum experience will respond,
Julia

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It might return for you(and likely will) , I have had one return , never continued to grow but ,, you are in the zone ability of the plant, I am not ..
You might keep a cutting or two . and plant your plant outdoors , that way you can be sure ..

Are those fall hardy mums you store in the garage , do you water them while stored .?
Do you mulch them heavily the first season .?
Do you know and look up the information about the name of the plant ?
These are all important ..

Some are annual , some are perennial .. confusing it can be , especially with football mums .

This message was edited Jun 23, 2013 12:36 AM

This message was edited Jun 23, 2013 12:38 AM

I have football mum and green spider mum, both are spring mums.

Do they like soil moist or semi dry, I have them in well drained potting soil, they get part full sun part shade daily. Am I supposed to cut stem tops until summer so they bloom early?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I know they don't like being overly dry and they seem to like deadheading ,, that is about all I know ..
As before I have failed a few times , but did have at least one make it through a winter one time ,
If I guessed from experience , (semi moist ) ..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.