Staggering tomatoes and peppers

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Hullo, fellow Balers :)
Well, Easter was celebrated by my acquisition of the years tomato and pepper plants. I usually plant 2 tomato plants per bale, and the same for peppers. Maters in one row, peppers in the other (rows about 6' apart). This time, I think I will stagger the two. One bale tomatoes, the next peppers (or something else) and so on. This because my tomatoes always seem to need more "wall" space. I tie part of each plant up, and let the rest sprawl on supports beside the bales, but they still get entangled. I think that if I put the pepper plants in between them, the maters will have more room, and the peppers should be okay, as well. There's plenty of sun to go around, and I will monitor the maters so they don't over-power the peppers.

Any drawbacks y'all can think of?

Thumbnail by catmad
Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Why not alternate your peppers with your tomatoes. That way you will have a tall plant and a short plant.
Maybe you can plant a row of peppers in front of your tomatoes.
Paul.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

That was what I was suggesting. As usual, I didn't explain well. But, not plant by plant, bale by bale. Two plants of each species/variety per bale. For example, my first bale will have two Kellogg's Breakfast tomatoes, and the next two green bell peppers. The bale after that will be two Marglobe tomatoes, and so on.

"I think that if I put the pepper plants in between them, the maters will have more room, and the peppers should be okay, as well. There's plenty of sun to go around, and I will monitor the maters so they don't over-power the peppers."

Do you mean a row of peppers in ground in front of the tomatoes in bales? I've never had room on the bales to do two rows of anything other than beans.

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.