winters coming...last look at my Sarracenias.

north coast nsw, Australia

thought id post some Sarracenia pics as winters coming and they won't look as good soon. Plus no one else has posted much..
Leu. white tube
huge wide mouthed pitchers.
Normal Leu.
A new Flava 'heavy veined' pitcher

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy

some more...if you want to know there names i'll have to go look.

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy
noonamah, Australia

Those look great. It's a pity in a way, but I don't have the climate to grow them here. You've really got quite a collection of them.

Arlington, TX

They are lovely, do they bloom well? I just ordered a few new plants, including a leu.
C

wheres Noonanah tropicbreeze? Your name sounds warm enough why cant you grow them? Yes they flower but i don't collect seed or anything, rather grow from division. Im to impatient. hehe!

Thumbnail by breeindy
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

GREAT looking plants! I can't wait for mine to wake up more! Slowly the awaken though!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Stunning!

noonamah, Australia

Bree, Bunnings has them here sometimes, but they don't do well. Same with most Nepenthes, have to be careful which species I get. That's why presently I only have Nepenthes mirabilis, it's very suited to lowland tropics.

Why whats your temp.s like tropicbreeze?

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy
Arlington, TX

LOL cannot be hotter than TX! Last year we had 60 or so days above 100 with little night time cooling. Currently I only have 3 types of sara. but all do fine here.
judith hindle
purpurea, venosa
alata

venus fly traps do fine as do the drosera filiformis

noonamah, Australia

We're equatorial lowlands here, Texas isn't even tropical, LOL.

Arlington, TX

Oh we have a winter but the summers are brutal. I can see there being an issue if you don't get any cool weather.
C

I don't get any cold weather and mine do fine.

noonamah, Australia

"Cold" is a very relative thing. But I've been many times in that part of Australia, in all seasons, and I've seen frost all the way up to Rockhampton. So basically, it depends on what you compare to, or what you're used to, as to whether it's hot or cold.

Arlington, TX

Sar. are from North America and many come from areas where there are mild winters. Sar. purpurea comes from as far north as parts of CA and does best with cold temps to rest.
C

I don't get frost here on the river..i even grow my orchids including seedlings outside just under shadecloth all year round. Wow your warmer than here gotta love that, i defenatly wouldnt go anymore sth from where i am i hate the cold.
Most of my Sarracenias don't even get winter leaves just slow down growing but keep there pitchers, a few do though..like the one i pictured above flava 'heavy veined' it has just winter leaves already and its only mildly cool yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.