Cold nights & young vegetation

Brainerd, MN

I have two dozen young tomato plants (about 10-14" tall) as well as some smaller, younger annuals I started from seed. I've potted them up and they've outgrown the available window/florescent light setup in the house and I really need to move them and the lighting set-up to the garage. The weather service is forecasting night time temps in the twenties through this week. The garage is usually about 10 degrees warmer than outside. As long as the plants don't get too close to 32, do you suppose they will be OK with such low evening temps?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Many of mine have nearly stayed green growing except during cold january and febuary.Could probably say as long as no frost falls directly on them as plants usually do pretty well. And that was refering to those in the garage. And no direct draft or wind ,as in the door opening and closing and that I believe you already would know.
Mine are already outside under freezer bags inside of bean cans,two freezes below 28 degrees and there's no damage to them as of yet however the next three or four nights here will tell me whether or not I've succeeded or not..Return later and tell us how it turns out.

Brainerd, MN

Thanks juhur... maybe I have been babying them too much. I will tent them under plastic in the garage and hope for the best.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Cheap insurance = incandescent light bulb. A great heater. Put one in with the plants.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A few plants saying its cold.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

New leaves on old trees have been affected here - all limp and a funny color. It will be interesting to see what pulls through in the next week and what doesn't. My backyard might not be quite so shady this summer.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The older trees usually strees and get a bit wilty looking during the hotter summer days here.

here's a couple more pics of that native shade tree, a two year old yellow poplar, who would've thought?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

HEY, michaelangelo; How did It go with the seedlings,here's a few of mine. This after the frost night before last (bad and cold) and last night.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Brainerd, MN

juhur, If I'm seeing these pictures right it looks like your seedlings survived just fine. I chickened out and carried all of mine back into the house (what a job!) but intend to move them back out tomorrow as I set up a kind of tenting arrangement in the garage and will include a couple of incandescent bulks to help heat the tent if the garage temps drop below forty. Thanks for checking on me!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

some of my hostas up here in zone4 got nipped with some of that cold weather. and they are talking 29 for monday. I dont have enough bed sheets to cover them all. i just may do the ones that are unfurled -- and if they are a fave.

I didn't see the damage to Empress Wu until it was too late. though there is one more eye that hasn't opened yet.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

heyya'cindymyzone5; That about snapping pics,I've got a 2.00 digital cam and I'm like a kid with a new toy, no matter how I try I just have to play!!.

Back from a week in TN but before I went, I noticed that my golden elderberry got hit hard with the frost and lost all of it's leaves. Elderberries are generally pretty fool-proof for me so hoping it'll resprout some leaves. Otherwise, a couple of leaves here and there got bit.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

we are expecting COLD weather tonight. again they say wide spread frost... I hope not... though i believe I'm more protected by all my trees. I've got a lot of hosts unfurled. *sigh*

Hope your plants survived. I think I'm frost-free for the next week.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

30 here this morning. Only damage I have seen so far is the new leaves that emerged earlier due to our warm spell but only on 2 kinds of trees: Yellowwood and Amur Cork. Looks like they will be ok though. More new leaves on the way. I think my apple trees only bloom every other year and not this one.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Seems like my plants were fine. there was light frost in the park, but that was in a more open area, and way down hill from me. I'll have to check on my plants down there sometime tomorrow. I have a lot of perennials down there, and seems the Agastaches have been getting nipped by the cold weather.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Sheesh. Guess I am not alone in the cold. 32F this morning. With a nice (yuk) breeze. Nothing planted out side for us - not til the end of May at this rate. And the stuff that comes up on its own should be fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.